Water Change Return Pump?

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby' started by Tim A, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Tim A

Tim A New Member Donor

Here is a question. I am possible looking at keeping my big bucket of mixed salt water in my basement directly under my tank. So instead of filling up 5 gallon jugs and lugging them upstairs and pouring water in the tank for water changes, I am looking for easier ways, because i can see that getting old real quick and i wont want to do the regular water changes. So I thought about having a pump connected to tubbing that will push water up through my floor ( i will drill a small hole in the floor ) and in to the tank. When shopping for a pump do I look at the head height for the distance I need the water to travel from point A to point B or will it be different since it is pushing though a tube maybe creating more pressure? I would need to climb about 10-15 feet i am estimating. Does anyone else do this? Or Am i just in a dream world and getting in way over my head for the trouble?

Thanks for reading.

2. Josh

Josh Member Donor

tubing vs piping. Length of vertical run, size of pipe, # of 90. All of these will affect your flow rate.

Think of things this way, if you run tubing some of the pressure of the pump is going to push on the outter walls of the tubing causing it to expand and lose some of its "push/head" pressure. Theres a bunch of pumps that can take of things for you. However 1 thing id like to point out. How do you plan to turn on said pump? You will want to trim the flow rate as many of the pumps that are able to pump that height will also fill a bucket in less than 30s.

I am by no means an expert and honestly @shamous113 is a good guy for this type of info. I would think a mag 12-18 would be in the range you need for that kind of head pressure, likely with a 5/8 hose as well.

3. Tim A

Tim A New Member Donor

Thanks for the info, I have a wireless remote that i use now to control my pump. I only have it in a Rubbermaid and it is directly beside my setup. I just push on and the pump turns on and click off and then it is off. I was thinking of the same thing so I am not running up and downstairs to turn it off.

Attached Files:

4. Josh

Josh Member Donor

Sounds like a good idea, should test it with a lightbulb to see if it works through the floor.

5. kapelan

kapelan Member

Bece13 likes this.
  6. shamous113

shamous113 Active Member

A mag 18 will push 757gph of water at 15' of. the number of elbows and valves will increase your head loss. I'd suggest 1"dia pvc minimum so you don't loose any more flow due to friction loss in a smaller diameter pipe. Below are some hypothetical examples of head loss due to pipe size based on a pump rated for 3500gph @ 0'. you can get 1"dia spa flex and fittings from a pool/hot tub store to help keep the costs down. Ive also used a slip slip union to change the direction of the spa flex instead of elbows.

Fifteen feet of 1/2" pipe would add 31 feet to your head pressure. Total head pressure: 46 feet (+306%)
    Fifteen feet of 1" pipe would add only 3 feet of extra head pressure. Total head pressure: 18 feet (+120%)
    Fifteen feet and 1.5" would add virtually no head pressure at all. Total head pressure: 15 feet (+0%)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Josh likes this.