Water Changes, Are you successful with out them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Salty Cracker link said:
Water changes are good for trace elements, but for good coral health you really need to supplement the 3 elements most used... :)
yes i went way too long without dosing and thinking water changes were cutting it...  you dont need a heavy sps tank to require dosing.. my LPS suck up alot of calcium also.

spyd

Super Active Member
I agree. Dosing is required in most tanks, unless you are running a primarily softie only tank. An LPS tank won't take much but does need to be monitored and topped up as needed. A full blown SPS tank will suck back piles and need dosing daily.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
ronmarsh99 link said:
Thanks for the reply, I want to see if other people are getting away from doing water changes and having succes, reson why I want to see if I can get away from doing them is, it takes for ever to make the R/O water here and it just drives the wife nut when I'm taking the sink away to make it, I would still be adding R/O water but just on top ups with my auto top up unit.
I have a great clean up crew going right now, So I would just like to know if this could be done.  :-\

You need one of the below. Just install it under your sink with a shut off on the 1/4 line. Then when you want water, just connect the line and open the valve. That way the sink is not disturbed and your wife can still use it.

Image100.gif
Image92.gif

Water changes are not really to remove 'dirty' water and replace with 'clean' water. It is done to remove both nitrates and phosphates from your tank. The Orca Nitra-Guard BioCubes "effectively remove both nitrates and phosphates from both marine and freshwater systems" which would massively reduce your water changes in a marine system. However, you still need water changes for the elements that are in the salt that you add. That is more then just dosing with the stuff from RA. I would trust and use this stuff on just a FOWLR tank, or as a replacement for biopellets maybe down the road...but will not replace water changes and other maintenance.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
AdamS link said:
Torx, that is a saddle valve. They are commonly used for ice makers, humidifiers and RO systems. I use one for mine.

That is what I use, well the second one that is. I have some left over from when I bought my RO/DI as I already had one on my laundry room sink from the last unit I had. Works great.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=spyd link=topic=3806.msg33625#msg33625 date=1355832311]
[quote author=yveterinarian link=topic=3806.msg33623#msg33623 date=1355831958]
Not sure if this product works or how much it is supposed to decrease water changes but Bill @IA just posted this:
http://www.thefragtank.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3803.0

Has anyone ever used it and does it indeed lessen the water changes?

I think this is a new product that just came out. It is pretty much the same as running bio-pellets except notes that it does not necessarily need to tumble like bio-pellets do. They claim less water changes because, like bio-pellets, they reduce nitrates and phosphates. So, naturally, less water changes could technically be accomplished when compared to a system not running pellets. I wouldn't personally take a chance and water changes are very good practice for a routine maintenance schedule.
[/quote]
THIS

Remember, that's a sales pitch on that product.  No matter what, the tank is using up trace elements, so without water changes your corals will suffer.  Gotta love products that tell you to start neglecting your tank.

As with any 'new' product, until the majority of reefers pick it up, it's just another gimick.  Who knows, it might end up being good, but I'll never take the word of those making a profit off it. 
[/quote]

Thanks for responses.  I have always kept up with at least 20 gallon changes once a month on my 90 gal with approx 10 gal every other week.  Always interested in new things and to gain experience.  Not running any bio pellets or other additives except calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.