Water changing station

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Petercar link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=5535.msg53454#msg53454 date=1370966839]
Hey poseidon....Just a thought here.

When you start up an RO/DI system, it runs high TDS for the first few minutes.  If you are using it for a straight top-up, where it runs really short periods over and over, you may be introducing things into your tank you might not want.  I mean, it's better to let the big barrel run down, then start it manually (with a float valve shut off), so that it runs a longer period at 0TDS instead of little by little with that burst of high TDS. 

I do the backwash thing and still I find the first bit of water from the RO/DI is like 50TDS for 20 seconds or so.  Not sure why but I've heard that's pretty common.
i know when i start my rodi up it is high for the first minute. I watch the digital rodi then when it reads 0. I wait another minute. Of running at 0 then throw the line into the jugs
[/quote]

I do too, it's always high, not sure if the resin releases crap or what.  I watch the inline meter until it's 0 too. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=5535.msg53455#msg53455 date=1370967629]

When you start up an RO/DI system, it runs high TDS for the first few minutes.  If you are using it for a straight top-up, where it runs really short periods over and over, you may be introducing things into your tank you might not want.  I mean, it's better to let the big barrel run down, then start it manually (with a float valve shut off), so that it runs a longer period at 0TDS instead of little by little with that burst of high TDS. 

I do the backwash thing and still I find the first bit of water from the RO/DI is like 50TDS for 20 seconds or so.  Not sure why but I've heard that's pretty common.
i know when i start my rodi up it is high for the first minute. I watch the digital rodi then when it reads 0. I wait another minute. Of running at 0 then throw the line into the jugs
[/quote]

I do too, it's always high, not sure if the resin releases crap or what.  I watch the inline meter until it's 0 too.
[/quote]

Yea, mine jumps to 15 or so for the first min. Ill use my hand held and test the TDS in ato container.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=5535.msg53455#msg53455 date=1370967629]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea, mine jumps to 15 or so for the first min. Ill use my hand held and test the TDS in ato container.

AdamS

I have heard of this happening but it never seems to happen in mine, but my shut off is between the RO and the DI so the DI drains each time i turn it off. I wonder if the water sitting in the DI eventually absorbs back some of the dissolved solids?

AdamS

I have heard of this happening but it never seems to happen in mine, but my shut off is between the RO and the DI so the DI drains each time i turn it off. I wonder if the water sitting in the DI eventually absorbs back some of the dissolved solids?

waldo

I agree with salty on the RO/DI reading high at initial start up, even though I backwash when done filling and also back wash before I start to fill my reservoir.
It must do the same if you leave the RO unit on continuously to ATO?

waldo

I agree with salty on the RO/DI reading high at initial start up, even though I backwash when done filling and also back wash before I start to fill my reservoir.
It must do the same if you leave the RO unit on continuously to ATO?

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Found the appropriate tanks locally here. Took some calling around but I finally found a pair. Now to go get them and start this project!

I have to wait to pick them up to figure out the plumbing of them to get the ATO system, and auto shut off for the RO/DI unit working.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Found the appropriate tanks locally here. Took some calling around but I finally found a pair. Now to go get them and start this project!

I have to wait to pick them up to figure out the plumbing of them to get the ATO system, and auto shut off for the RO/DI unit working.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
So i have sketched out my final plans (Or what I think will be my final plan) for my water changing / ATO station.

Hopefully it turns out as nicely as planned.

Luckily I have a cold and hot water spigot accessible in my laundry room and a straight open drain pipe as well! I can tap into these for my RO/DI. BTW, I am using the Spectrapure Maxpure 90 GPD:

SUB-MPDI-RODI-150x150.png

The cold water line is simply a garden hose spigot with a normal attachment my setup is exactly like this, except the respective lines each have valves that can open and close:

Washing-Machine-Drain-Box-300x225.jpg

That being said, they are both always OPEN. So I am going to have to "T" off the cold line and have a gate valve inline so that my RO/DI isn't aways getting pressure to it and always running. The drain line is literally just a simple hose, shoved into a pipe that is held in place by friction, so I will slide my drain from the RO/DI in there beside it and utilize the same drainage port.

Here is my sketch:

20130708_113001.jpg

Any suggestions?

Now the RO/DI produces 90 GPD, so presumably with some quick math that is 90/24 = 3.75 gallons per hour. Could I just run this on a timer? So if my reservoir is 60 gallons I could run it for 13-14 hours, producing 48.75-52.5 gallons? I could run it two days before my water change (So I would gather the water on Friday) Add salt Saturday, and then water change on Sunday!

Then I would simply use the sink python to drain the sump like I used too, then I would open the gate valve at the bottom of the reservoir, flip a switch for the pump and presto! Clean water back into the sump!

AdamS

Are you using the same reservoir for top off water and mixing? I would suggest that they are separate, not just for accidents but for convenience. For example: you start mixing water, shit happens, two days later you still havent done water change and you need top off water...

Other than that i think it looks great.

Oh one more thing, have some sort of system that you do not forget to turn off your ATO when doing a water change.

AdamS

I really think you need 2, or mix your water in buckets.  How will you get ALL the saltwater out of the reservoir before adding RO water?