Water changing station

theyangman

Distinguished Member
As I have thought about it more, it seems that Adam is correct I will need a second unit for stricly RO/DI water.

I cannot have pre mixed salt water as my auto top off water. Otherwise the salinity rises over time. Dammit.

Back to the drawing board. I bought one of the tubs, but no plumbing yet (luckily)

I am going to copy this setup:

Water-Storage-Front.jpg

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I sat down and started thinking and realized it wouldn't have worked well. ARGH!

Oh well. I need to find space.... Hopefully I can make this work somehow....

AdamS

Get smaller tanks and put them one over the other. Put the rodi in the top and the mixing in the bottom. Rodi fills the top bucket and has a float valve (also a manual shutoff). Top tank can be used to fill mixing tank and for top off. This is basically what i have and the wife likes it (she does the water changes at our house  ;D)

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Spoke with the guy at the supply store, they have a second one in stock. Looks like I am getting that one as well tomorrow. I cleared out the space in the Laundry room and they both seem to fit side by side. Looks like I can make this work. *whew*

Once I gather all the equipment I will keep you all posted on progress!! (If you guys care that is.)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Looks to me like someone needs to move you guys into a bigger place.  I don't think those two monster water vessels and a mame cabinet will fit in there, along with your sanity :)

theyangman

Distinguished Member
So over the weekend I started working on this "small" project. After a few ups and downs, and many curse words along with several trips to almost every single big box hardware store in the city, and the realization that PVC primer and glue sets almost INSTANTLY, I finally got this project finished.

Enjoy!

First I had to make a cut into the side of the salt water container to allow for a bulkhead, so I can utilize the pump to mix my salt for me. Of course I didn't have a hole saw nor a spare bulkhead so both of those had to be acquired. Easier than I thought, I measured, cut, siliconed it in. Worked great, hope it holds water. lol

20130723_140958.jpg

First test fitting,

20130723_002457.jpg

20130723_141012.jpg

Oops, too long; story of my life.... ;)

20130723_140958.jpg

20130723_140947.jpg

20130723_140941.jpg

20130723_140934.jpg

20130723_1409310.jpg

20130723_002603.jpg

20130723_002457.jpg

20130723_002435.jpg

Before gluing I started thinking about repairs, especially to something like the pump and I realized if I did it this way I would have no way to take it apart if it required repair, or if the pump decided to die, so back out to home depot, then rona, then finally at Lowes I found what I needed. 1" and 3/4" union couplers, this way I can simply close the appropriate valves, and unscrew the section that I need. These things are harder to find than unicorns. At the end of the day, the hardware store that is furthest away from me seemed to have the best selection of fittings so just a heads up to the rest of you guys, just save yourself some time and go straight to Lowes out in Hyde Park.

Anyways, here is what it looks like now:

20130724_105209.jpg

20130724_105226.jpg

RO/DI feeding directly into the container:

20130724_105214.jpg

So the tank on the left will be a salt mixed container, and the one on the right is pure RO/DI only.

Now with the setup I have made (Copied) I can:

1. Transfer RO/DI into the tank on the left from the right tank to prepare more salt water used for both water changes, and ATO. Making more room to store just RO/DI.

2. Mix the salt in the left container by running it in a loop.

3. Attach my fitting into the tree and running clear nylon hose to my sump when I need to refill it for a water change

4. Empty both containers for transport when the time comes to move. It breaks down into 4 pieces.

What do you guys think?

theyangman

Distinguished Member
The old lady wasn't nuts about me compromising most of the laundry room for this setup.

Those containers are each 2 feet wide by 4 feet tall, and all said and done these bad boys should hold on average 50 gallons each on any given day, so there is no excuse for me not to be doing water changes regularly and quickly.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Oh and here is my RO/DI setup, I got super lucky to have a cold water line right next to my setup. I got a "V" adaptor with individual gates so the washing machine can constantly have cold water, and the RO/DI I can shut off with a flick of the wrist.

20130723_002537.jpg

20130723_002504.jpg

20130723_002544.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That is way too cramped.

solutions 1) - let me move you to an awesomenener bigger place.
2) Gimme one of those tanks, or both, if it would help out?

theyangman

Distinguished Member
The pump I am currently using is a Danner Mag 12. I am not sure if this will be powerful enough to really stand up to the amount of movement I will need, but hey, it was lying around doing nothing. If anything I can take my system apart and replace the pump very easily. I am thinking maybe a Reeflo Dart or something along those lines. We'll see how this works on the first water change.

theyangman

Distinguished Member
Salty Cracker link said:
That is way too cramped.

solutions 1) - let me move you to an awesomenener bigger place.
2) Gimme one of those tanks, or both, if it would help out?

Forever a salesman eh? Ha ha ha ha ha. We like where we are.

1. I cannot be bothered to move as the effort involved seems far greater than I am willing to exert.

2. I am poor. I cannot afford a house.