Water Mixing Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamS

My wife does the water change on our 75Gal tank most of the time, so I had to make an easy way for her to do it. So here is what I did:

The top can is filled via the RODI system and has a float valve to prevent overfilling. The RODI also has a valve the I turn off manually once the tank is full.  The bottom tank is used for mixing salt water, and both are dispensed directly into a 5Gal pail. We still have to lug water upstairs but at least the mixing and dispensing are easy.

Feel free to post your storage / mixing / Dispensing systems, would love to improve mine for next time. Actually, at the next house it will be automated, but still...

Adam

Seggsy

I didn't take a picture of the culligan bottle sitting in the laundry tub, or the stick I use to mix the salt in.....

This would be a good holiday project for me, for sure. 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I use a 20 Gallon Brute Garbage Can from home depot.  I have the RODI run to the can with a shut off valve and a float valve.  I open the manual valve and walk away.  COme back whenver I remeber and toss 6ish cups  of salt into the can.  In the can I have a powerhead and small heater that runs all the time.  I have a MAG6 or somethign in the can plugged into an outlet whcih is run by a switch.  After the salt is mixed for a couple days or whenever I throw the swithc and it pumps it into my sump.

To get water out of the sump I open a valve and the water just drains to the houses sump pit then out to the city drains:)

AdamS

Seggsy, i think i spent an evening to put it together, really doesnt take long if you have all the parts.

Neopimp, sounds similar, i would like to do what you do, but sump is upstairs, this is downstairs. But what you do is the way to go if possible.

P

phi delt reefer

AdamS link said:
My wife does the water change on our 75Gal tank most of the time....

The bottom tank is used for mixing salt water, and both are dispensed directly into a 5Gal pail. We [glow=red,2,300]She[/glow] still have to lug water upstairs but at least the mixing and dispensing are easy.

Adam

You my friend are a god amongst men... I'll send my wife over for whatever training regime you got yours on... Money isnt an issue... I'll sell some of her purses to finance the tuition.

:D

AdamS

Haha, Reefhero was over the other day and she was doing water top up at 8.5months prego! Now I kinda sound abusive...but I'm not, I always follow the rule of thumb  :-\

P

phi delt reefer

AdamS link said:
Haha, Reefhero was over the other day and she was doing water top up at 8.5months prego! Now I kinda sound abusive...but I'm not, I always follow the rule of thumb  :-\

LOL - your on a roll buddy!

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Keep the ideas coming guys, I'm liking this thread, I have to set up my ro/di system, mine will be in the basement too and have been pondering the how to. I like this idea. Is there a small inexpensive pump you could buy that would pump the water up into the sump of the tank vs carrying jugs? only running when necessary? I'm trying to plan ahead.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Storage question
Do you worry about chemicals from the plastics leaching into the water? with all the care that goes in to water quality, I wonder whether using the garbage cans is a good option? I work in the food industry and storage and food safe is a big deal, just wondering. I'm assuming that this system with the garbage cans has been working for some of you for a while. Comments appreciated. Not meaning to hijack a topic, this can be moved if need be.

AdamS

Any ato system would have that very type of pump. I just havent decided i want to drill through my floor yet, although i may one day.

The garbage cans are NSA certified to standard 2 and 21. They are USDA meat and poultry equipment group listed, and used by reefers all over the place and nobody has had a problem that i know of. My water tests 0 tds after being in the cans for a period of time. Google rubbermaid brute, or look it up on reefcentral.

Btw i posted this quite a while ago and the system is still working great.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Thanks so much Adam, you just clarified for me the fact that I can use them with no worries, I will check out the rubbermaid brute. I will be able to drill through the floor when the tank is in it's final place, the water should be right underneath it. I was going to put the sump in the basement, but to conserve electrical costs, I'll set it up behind the tank, i will have the room for it. Thanks again. Appreciate the info and not having to look all over for it. Saves me a lot of time and frustration too !

AdamS link said:
Any ato system would have that very type of pump. I just havent decided i want to drill through my floor yet, although i may one day.

The garbage cans are NSA certified to standard 2 and 21. They are USDA meat and poultry equipment group listed, and used by reefers all over the place and nobody has had a problem that i know of. My water tests 0 tds after being in the cans for a period of time. Google rubbermaid brute, or look it up on reefcentral.

Btw i posted this quite a while ago and the system is still working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.