Wave makers

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ronmarsh99

Hi guys I was wondering what wave makers you like best?
I have had a few problems with hydro pumps, They seem to want to go the wrong way at times. I read they can do this once they get old, But I don't call my pumps very old at all, 1 year now. Anyways I'm wanting to get new ones.
So if anyone has had good luck with a pump you like to share, please let me know.
Besides a mp10 mp20 mp 60 I know there great pumps as I have the mp40
Any help would be a great help Thanks.

spyd

Super Active Member
If you have the room, I would go with a Tunze Wavebox. No better wave maker than that one IMO. Te only problem is they are quite large, but can be hidden well in the back corner of most setups. Best wave I have seen though.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
+1, nothing makes a wave like a wave box does, my tunze has been great for me!.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
My tunze nano wavebox makes a good sized wave in my 75g.....I have since added a tunze 6095 to operate opposite of it off the same controller as the wavebox.....now the wave is crazy!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spyd

Super Active Member
I am selling off my Tunze Wavebox if you would like it. It is in mint condition. I REALLY want to make it work but I designed my tank wrong... My return lines are too close to my side panes so I cannot put the Wavebox in the back corner. PM me if you are interested at all. I will give you a great deal.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
ronmarsh99 link said:
Hi guys I was wondering what wave makers you like best?
I have had a few problems with hydro pumps, They seem to want to go the wrong way at times. I read they can do this once they get old, But I don't call my pumps very old at all, 1 year now. Anyways I'm wanting to get new ones.
So if anyone has had good luck with a pump you like to share, please let me know.
Besides a mp10 mp20 mp 60 I know there great pumps as I have the mp40
Any help would be a great help Thanks.
yu say yur powerheads go backwards ?....are they koralias?...send them a email. And they will ship yu new front covers. Then the problem is fixed

Victoss

Yep they will send you new cover and propeller free if your having that problem, it may be because you have the older style ones but it's not always the case, I have some newer evolutions and I wanted to start using them for waves but they did this too and they were only months old. Even when you replace the parts they are still loud as hell switching and will still through it in reverse once in a while. Why not use the mp40 for waves if you already have it?

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I was going to post something in DIY but since it is on topic...

I wanted a wavebox but not the price or one size almost fits all footprint.  Picked up the 6095 nano that DTI1501 had for sale, put it with a 7092 controller that I had (shipping error freebie).  It has amazing flow but even pulsing, predictably, doesn't make much of a wave effect.

I cut the top off the old vinegar bottle I was using for my Mg supplement and fired it up to get an idea of the volume of the box that would be required for the harmonics of my tank.  Surprisingly the displacement volume required for my 180 gal is very small and this 5 minute zero engineering prototype works pretty well.

Wave box proto

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
good job. its crazy how simple the concept is and how good it works. way to get it going in a DIY fashion. build it in acrylic next, and if i could offer a suggestion, you know the resonance of the tank and pulse you need.. so if you play with different shaped boxes im sure you can get it even better. i would try a smaller volume box with the power head an 1" lower in the tank or even at that depth even would be ok... so with your pulse it empties the box down a bit further.. that way the reverse water will rush even faster and you'll get a bigger wave.. get what i mean?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:

ya that thing will make a great wave, not sure on the reliability of the pump but it looks like a resung or whatever they are.. pretty popular overseas. make sure you get the right plug tho.. that one looks to be for the UK 220v. if you look at the other listings there is a black one also.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:
might give it a try, if i dont find a used one around here. Price is right. ya i know what you mean abuot the plug.

they will offer both, just contact the seller first to be sure.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
good job. its crazy how simple the concept is and how good it works. way to get it going in a DIY fashion. build it in acrylic next, and if i could offer a suggestion, you know the resonance of the tank and pulse you need.. so if you play with different shaped boxes im sure you can get it even better. i would try a smaller volume box with the power head an 1\" lower in the tank or even at that depth even would be ok... so with your pulse it empties the box down a bit further.. that way the reverse water will rush even faster and you'll get a bigger wave.. get what i mean?

Exactly what I was thinking...minimum box volume and  move the outlet to the centre of the tank depth.

Interesting how little orientation affects it.  You don't have to face it longitudinally to get good wave effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.