Weird anemones?

shawnc722

I’ve got a couple of these in my tank, only really visible at night. They’re much smaller with tentacles all pulled in during the day. Sorry for the awful lighting, my rock isn’t actually green but the color of the hitchhiker is pretty close.
2BEF0D54-0565-463A-84AA-09DAE38A45BE.jpeg

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I’ve seen these before , never had any negative effects I’m sure they are more of a pain if they spread out

shawnc722

Thanks for the quick reply! It’s kinda visible to the left of the main one, but there’s a second right next to some of my zoas and a third near another patch of zoas out of frame. In your experience, is that something I should be worried about?

Luke.

Distinguished Member
I’m not to sure , I had 3 on a rock and never bothered anything , but if your zoas were to stay closed or die around that area I’d definitely remove them , maybe someone else can chime in and answer it better

dale

Thanks for the quick reply! It’s kinda visible to the left of the main one, but there’s a second right next to some of my zoas and a third near another patch of zoas out of frame. In your experience, is that something I should be worried about?
ime, most nems will kill zoas... small nems are not easy to get rid of, usually involves something that eats them.

shawnc722

I think I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, without a firm ID, but I’ll definitely keep a close eye on them. Thank you both!

Painter Steve

Donor
Look up Strawberry Ball Anemones. I had them years ago when I first started and they slowly just disappeared. They didn’t bother much but I also didn’t have much corals in the tank back then.

shawnc722

That looks exactly like them! Thanks so much, a thread on nano reef seems to agree they don’t really harm anything. I’ll keep an eye on them just in case, but I’m glad to know I don’t need to be worried. I like the alien look they’ve got going on and didn’t wanna have to remove them lol.