Well That Was Unexpected...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So I was emptying the skimmer, when lo and behold I see a flash of red...flame hawkfish must have jumped out of the main tank and bounced along the wall and ended up in the sump. Sucks, but I can get him out. As I was moving things to get at him a little better I see a teeny tiny baby banggai cardinalfish swim between the rocks in one of the sump chambers.

I have 2 of them in the tank, so obviously one was pregnant or something. Thing is, it would have had to get by the sock to get into the sump so 2 fish that shouldn't be in the sump...are. Weird stuff.

SamB

Super Active Member
@Salty Cracker - what you witnessed has to be one of the most endearing reasons for doing all of the hard work that our hobby demands !
Great story - congratulations

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Congrats on the baby! I well remember finding a seahorse fry no bigger than a mosquito larvae who made it out of it's tank, through all the pipes, bioballs and filter floss and was swimming happily in the open sump near the protein skimmer! Amazing it didn't get sucked in. I returned him to his friends and he was none the worse for wear. Your little cardinal is a testament to survival. Your flame was darned lucky it didn't end up on the floor. Wonderful story. :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
hawkfish has never been a jumper so not sure what that's about, I'll have to put some sort of deflector on the back lip of the tank, but he's smart, he may not want to do that again. Catching was easy, I left a net in sump and he got himself tangled in it.

There was only one fry in the sump, can't see him today, so either hiding or found a way into the main chamber and got sucked back up into the DT. I was fairly big compared to say the clownfish fry that come around every 2 weeks or so.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Lol, I spoke too soon, there's at least 3 of these little suckers in the back corner.
babe.jpg

Quartapound

Funny ... I just lost my Longnose hawkfish to jumping. he made it into my lunchbox that was beside the tank, though :( ...(The sump would have been even more impressive, being on a different floor than the DT)

EZMac

Congrats, i had my bi-colour blenny make it in to my sump, that is in another room. He made it through the overflow down the pipes, past my sump socks through another chamber and into my refugium, was pulling my cheato out and he swam by and scared the crap out of me. One of those moments you dont want to admit, like seaweed hitting your foot in a lake. Lol.