What Are Some Low Waste Or Bioload Fish?

GoBlowfishYourself

New reefer here. Having trouble finding an answer to these questions. IWhat are the factors that determine the bio-load of an individual fish?

Here are the (potentially incorrect) assumptions I have made:

1) The smaller fish, the smaller the bio-load
2) The less active the fish, the less food it requires, the less waste it produces
3) Carnivores produce more nitrogenous waste do to their protein rich diets (more nitrogen based amino acids vs carbon based carbohydrates)
4) fish that can find nutrition produced within the closed system (algae, micro fauna/flora) will require less nutrient (waste) to be added to that system

I've yet to add a fish, and I am trying to get the most out of my 29 gal biocube (+skimmer, +fuge, +media-basket), and to figure out what factors to consider other than BS like inches per gallon. If anyone knows a vendor where you can search by size or diet, or a site/thread that lists low bio-load fish, please share! Or just share from personal observation/experience... This seems to be the best vector of knowledge in this hobby!

Josh

I think you might be overthinking things a bit here... Get fish you are going to enjoy, obviously research what you like and make sure they fit the size of the tank. If you are running a skimmer and a fuge you can probably have a few fish, in my bc29 i used to keep 2 clowns 1 royal gramma 1 mandarin goby (dont get this right away) 1 bangai cardinal and i found my stocking was fine. Start slow and dont add everything at once. I started with 2 clowns then added the gramma then the cardinal then the mandarin after a good 9m-1yr later.

Good luck!