You can be honest.....

cherrycharms_24285.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Very nice indeed, but the color does look off a little, check out the rock or substrate in the bottom left corner.

If this is its true color, then I want a frag :)

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Petercar link said:
Shit...nice
The picture.....sure but look again.

Neopimp link said:
real lol.. looks liek photoshop :)
Ding

Torx link said:
Very nice indeed, but the color does look off a little, check out the rock or substrate in the bottom left corner.
Ding ding ding ding.  This is a picture posted by a sponsor on R2R and this guy really alters his pictures IMO.  The zoa is wwc cherry charms.  I had a frag of this (before it melted) and it looks nothing like that.  But ya the big give a way is the rock that is red in the lower left...you can tell he skewed the whole picture red to bring out that colour on the zoa.  There is so much of this that goes on with these frag vendors in the states is ridiculous.  Not all of them are bad offenders but there are quite a few to varying levels.  Also note there are ways to make a coral look good with out messing with the colour too much like upping the contrast and nailing the white balance.

I just like to point it out to people and especially newer reefers who dont know this goes on.  Once you realize how common this is you start to look for and get good at finding the ones that are jacked and not believable.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
It's fine...you guys just caught it early.......that's good.

Burc fans (I actually dont think he is that bad) should close there ears but when he would post a bunch of pictures on aquariumpros you could look at the row of pictures and see that the corals that are supposed to be blue the sand had a blue tint but if the the coral was red or green....guess what colour tint the sand would have.  And that is just straight up adding colour but saturation can be added and not mess with the sand if you dont over do it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=Petercar link=topic=3506.msg29951#msg29951 date=1352597137]
Shit...nice
The picture.....sure but look again.

Neopimp link said:
real lol.. looks liek photoshop :)
Ding

Torx link said:
Ding ding ding ding.  This is a picture posted by a sponsor on R2R and this guy really alters his pictures IMO.  The zoa is wwc cherry charms.  I had a frag of this (before it melted) and it looks nothing like that.  But ya the big give a way is the rock that is red in the lower left...you can tell he skewed the whole picture red to bring out that colour on the zoa.  There is so much of this that goes on with these frag vendors in the states is ridiculous.  Not all of them are bad offenders but there are quite a few to varying levels.  Also note there are ways to make a coral look good with out messing with the colour too much like upping the contrast and nailing the white balance.

I just like to point it out to people and especially newer reefers who dont know this goes on.  Once you realize how common this is you start to look for and get good at finding the ones that are jacked and not believable.
[/quote]

Not to mention local settings... depending on your own computer monitor and its settings, calibration, contrast, etc. photos will look different.  Even if you do nail the WB, and don't up the saturation, photos are going to vary greatly in presentation depending on make versus model, if the photo was taken in RAW or JPEG (most bodies add contrast and saturation automatically when shooting in JPEG mode), and what is done in post beyond that.  You can shoot a picture in RAW and in JPEG, and say you didn't up the saturation, but the JPEG (in most cases) will have a certain level of saturation added by default.  If you've ever shot in raw and seen your pic on your LED display in camera, and then gotten it onto your computer, you know what I'm talking about... most LED displays add saturation and contrast, and the RAW is void of this addition.  You are taking your chances I guess when buying online.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Here is an example of what I can do that is pretty undetectable to the trained eye.

My original picture of my reverse prism favia
P5265550.jpg

And my better version (frags anyone?)
P5265550-Copy.jpg

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Not to mention local settings... depending on your own computer monitor and its settings, calibration, contrast, etc. photos will look different.  Even if you do nail the WB, and don't up the saturation, photos are going to vary greatly in presentation depending on make versus model, if the photo was taken in RAW or JPEG (most bodies add contrast and saturation automatically when shooting in JPEG mode), and what is done in post beyond that.  You can shoot a picture in RAW and in JPEG, and say you didn't up the saturation, but the JPEG (in most cases) will have a certain level of saturation added by default.  If you've ever shot in raw and seen your pic on your LED display in camera, and then gotten it onto your computer, you know what I'm talking about... most LED displays add saturation and contrast, and the RAW is void of this addition.  You are taking your chances I guess when buying online.
For sure.  My desktop monitor shows more saturation than my laptop by far.....but its just a better looking screen all around.  But viewing my pictures on my lap top I always think they are lack luster but I adjust them to my desktop monitor.

As far as taking your chances buying online....that is for sure but if you find a rare honest vendor or hobbyist I think it can be positive.  I personally have have both experiences.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Here's a pic.  Same pic, same frame.  The LED glow is actually green.  This shows that you can change one colour in the pic drastically, and still make the background seem believable.  Reality isn't what it once was.

Status
Not open for further replies.