What Do You Keep In Your Refuge....

heath

Distinguished Member
I finally have a sump big enough to have a refuge, what does everyone keep in there.. I will be adding some cheato and mangroves. Has anyone ever kept fish in their sump and what species...I am thinking maybe a goby or a star fish..

Kman

Super Active Member
You should keep all predators out of your sump. Unless you set up an area where they can't get to. They call it a refugium because it is is supposed to be a safe place a refuge from predation. So things can breed in piece.

I add Macro algae like Caulerpa and chato, Mangroves, I do a Cryptic Zone with less light and live rock. So I cultivate things like Sponges to filter my water. In the past I have added in a small section like mushroom right below the output into the sump. As food drops in it is eater by them. They also like to use disolved organics in the water so the help to clean your water. Xenia also work well. Both can be removed regular as a means of nutrent export.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I used to keep a tuxedo urchin in mine just gave it way too bad i didnt know you were looking for one. I now keep Chaetos, something you cant keep when you have a tuxedo urchin......well not for very long. I also keep the heater and bio media in there. i was wondering how that mud works.

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Yes. No grape calpura will survive if I put my urchin in the sump. Lol

I have a crab in mine to pick at any ditreus that may find its way into the sump.