What eats Grape Caulerpa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I have a bad grape Caulerpa outbreak in my tank.....I keep tearing it off the rocks but it just keeps growing back......
I have a chocolate tang but he doesn't touch it.....what will eat it?
I have also heard that carbon dosing will help......does this mean running GAC in a reactor?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
My yellow tang, and Regal tang, and Fox face all devoured it.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Only thing I am worried about is my CBB if I am to add tangs or fox face.....also kinda concerned about my corals with the fox face......
My CBB may be on the way out tho.......
I used to have a YT and never got any Caulerpa......I sold the YT to get a CBB and slowly the Caulerpa is making a strong comeback from nothing.....
Noticed the fox face picking at any coral duke? Or heard of anyone having these issues?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Mine was pretty big and didn't touch coral.. He picked at the rocks only

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I have a chocolate tang but he doesn't touch the stuff......

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
I have a chocolate tang but he doesn't touch the stuff......

Starve him for a day or two.. Then pick some and toss it in so he thinks it's food that your feeding him. I'm sure eventually he will devour it all. Maybe he's not smart enough to figure it out. Lol

spyd

Super Active Member
What size tank do you have? A Naso Tang eats all most any kind of algae imaginable, even bubble algae. Foxface is definitely another option. I have had mine for years now and it doesn't touch corals whatsoever. Now the CBB I had... That was a different story. Freakin' thing took out a couple SPS corals on me.... Grrr. Needless to say, it had to go.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
spyd link said:
What size tank do you have? A Naso Tang eats all most any kind of algae imaginable, even bubble algae. Foxface is definitely another option. I have had mine for years now and it doesn't touch corals whatsoever. Now the CBB I had... That was a different story. Freakin' thing took out a couple SPS corals on me.... Grrr. Needless to say, it had to go.

+1 on the naso!

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
I can't vouch for a chocolate tang ,never had 1 but have had yellow tangs Naso tangs ,kole tangs and then some ,all of them ate vegetation  of any sort I put in the tank .rabbitfish is another good 1 for eating ,I put my rabbitfish into my sump as he was getting aggressive  And he ate everything in my sump in fuge
maybe your tang is just not hungry enough

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I keep my fish fed very well.....mostly because I am worried about the CBB......how ironic that I am so worried the fox face will nip at coral and yet my CBB is no concern to me at all even tho I keep hearing a lot of stories about how they ate other people's coral......I only have a 75 and this is why I went with the chocolate tang......I am going to try dukes idea and starve them for a day or two and then throw in the Caulerpa......see, it's food little buddy.....maybe I will have to eat some in front of him to get the idea through lol.....I have seen dog catchers do this on occasion to entice the dog and it works!!! LOL
Worst comes to worse I will just have to outrun the tang police and invest in one that will eat this stuff......it's not a terrible outbreak but its a PITA to keep removing manually and I can only imagine what will happen it I don't do that.....
In the meantime if anyone wants some grape Caulerpa just come and get it!!!
Thank you everyone for your input!!!! Very much appreciated and I will let you know how this goes....

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Ok so I just ripped off some tasty grapes and I am going to feed it like food..... Should I dip it in some mysis or brine juice to entice????

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Ok I am going to pull it out of the sump in an hour or two, cut it up a bit and then feed it like I always feed them.....fingers crossed!!!!!

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Well the chocolate tang did not go for it so I enticed it by soaking in some brine shrimp and then every fish wanted it lol.......I will try again tonight.......
Yea I used to have a YT and never seen any Caulerpa....... Maybe a connection there! This darn chocolate guy just won't eat his veggies!

Status
Not open for further replies.