What frustrates You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewel

Hi all, I've just rejoined this site after joining last summer, I've had alot of frustrating times over the past year and was wondering what frustrates you about this great hobby. Maybe we can help each other with advice on those Frustrating Moments. I'll start.

That Damn overflow is just too noisy, I lower it, raise it, restrict the flow from my pump, nothing seems to work, Maybe I need a better overflow, Durso  what else is out there?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
my biggest frustration is lugging RODI water around. its heavy.

secondly would be my clownfish moving/nudging any new corals i place that arent glued down.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Mine is along the same line as dukes,
My turbos knock everything over, and my clowns keep digging holes around there 'nest'

spyd

Super Active Member
The cost of the SUPER NICE corals!!! Have to mortgage the house for a nice chalice frag. But.... It sure would look nice in my tank!  ::)

F

Fraggle Rock

Buying T5 bulbs with the money that should be going towards a nice LED fixture,
Not having a big enough reef budget,
Looking at my tank in real life then looking in disappointment at what it looks like in my pictures,
Getting things working really well, then having to tear it down for a big move.

Giglio324

mixing and lugging pails of water around. What a massive pita. ill agree with the turbos and stuff shifting. My powerheads will work a frag loose out of a crevice and then i have to go fishing to get it back. Frustrating. i bought a handy grabber thing from the dollar store for 2$ that is actually helpful lol

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:
STN and being unable to identify the cause!

Bryopsis sucks too!

You know, I've had a bit of this lately...I somehow thing it's related to the sudden reduction of zooxanthellae, leaving a coral basically starving...and slowly deteriorating.  I found the ones I lost were ones that had the most brown to begin with, the ones that had more colour have done just fine.  I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I did.... I wonder if it was a large water change with cool water (wasn't using a heater on the water tub), or if it was some contaminant...or if it was lighting.  You recently upgraded your lights, no?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
jerry_doucette link said:
[quote author=harleymike link=topic=3992.msg35652#msg35652 date=1357855133]
whats stn  ?

Super tough nigro?
[/quote]

mr_t_ba.jpg

stn= slow tissue necrosis

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=3992.msg35623#msg35623 date=1357840948]

Bryopsis sucks too!

You know, I've had a bit of this lately...I somehow thing it's related to the sudden reduction of zooxanthellae, leaving a coral basically starving...and slowly deteriorating.  I found the ones I lost were ones that had the most brown to begin with, the ones that had more colour have done just fine.  I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I did.... I wonder if it was a large water change with cool water (wasn't using a heater on the water tub), or if it was some contaminant...or if it was lighting.  You recently upgraded your lights, no?
[/quote]

Yes, I upgraded my lights several months ago now. I just noticed the stn on a couple mini colonies. My millies arent having the PE they usually do either. My colours are decent, my params and salinity are good, regular water changes, low nitrate and phosphate...??? :eek: ???
Going to add some amino acids for a few weeks and see if there is any noticable difference,

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
teebone110 link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=3992.msg35649#msg35649 date=1357854734]
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=3992.msg35623#msg35623 date=1357840948]

Bryopsis sucks too!

[/quote]

Yes, I upgraded my lights several months ago now. I just noticed the stn on a couple mini colonies. My millies arent having the PE they usually do either. My colours are decent, my params and salinity are good, regular water changes, low nitrate and phosphate...??? :eek: ???
Going to add some amino acids for a few weeks and see if there is any noticable difference,
[/quote]

Keep me updated, I never had stn before, but I changed a number of things at the same time (stupid stupid stupid) so it's hard to pin down what I did wrong like I normally can.  I get all "this setup is bulletproof" but it's not.  To be honest I haven't lost anything I like, and it was good to clear out a few that were just brown masses.  LPS seemed to take off with the new lighting upgrade, as did coralline, so I really think the UV was lacking in my old setup.  Frags I got recently are fine, ones I had forever were the ones that bleached, so I'm really thinking they were just totally acclimated to the old lights.  What AA are you going with?

Status
Not open for further replies.