what is the best way too frag zoas and polys

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
If they on a big rock.... Teen one taught me the toss on floor (unfinished preferred) get a hammer and chisel and gloves and eye protection...and... HAMMERTIME!

Or you can try to exacto blade them off. Don't get in cuts or eyes.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:
If i exacto blade them off, as long as I get the head and mos of the base, they can be glued too a plug and survive

Yep. Try with one your willing to loose a few polyps of first. If you want to make large frags then hammer chisel might be easier but remember you will be loosing part of your aquascape depending what the zoas are attached too :)

harleymike

Super Active Member
Thanks Jerry
I will give it a shot. I have a green dream grandis that is now 8 heads and some other polys and zoas that i want too frag.
mike

Jewel

I've heard of the Smash job, What if you put Plugs next to the piece you want to frag, Will they just move over and attach?

MrHermit85

I have fragged two polyps where I litterally just slit the head and stem off a single zoa and glued the head to a rock and they opened up within a day and have been great and growing for the last month...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Jewel link said:
I've heard of the Smash job, What if you put Plugs next to the piece you want to frag, Will they just move over and attach?

I have used similar when I was doing my Gobstoppers, I put 4 plugs in egg crate in a square pattern touching each other, then slipped my mother colony in the middle and just let it grow to the other frag plugs. After it was well covered, I just tore them apart. Now I just cut and glue now.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
I have fragged two polyps where I litterally just slit the head and stem off a single zoa and glued the head to a rock and they opened up within a day and have been great and growing for the last month...

Yup this works, but it is to much work unless the zoas are worth a lot.
I usually just break the rocks off
But with all my designer zoas I have frag plugs next to them and just wait for them to grow onto the next plug then cut

Demchog

Hi. I'm brand new so have zero experience but there are lots of 'how to' videos on YouTube that show fragging different types of corals. I've been checking them out. Very interesting.  Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Try a shotgun.  Seriously, watch the goo those things are hellatoxic.  Be sure whoever might have to drive you to the hospital knows to tell them about palyotoxin or you might not get the right treatment.    I'm willing to help with the shotgun method. 

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Demchog link said:
Hi. I'm brand new so have zero experience but there are lots of 'how to' videos on YouTube that show fragging different types of corals. I've been checking them out. Very interesting.  Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gloves, (elbow length preferably), and eye glasses are essential imo,
i would even go so far to were a simple dust mask to keep it out of your nose and mouth, much rather be safe than sorry

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
There was a guy at Rick's frag swap 2 years ago that had spent time in the hospital because a paly or zoa had burned him so bad he thought he was going to lose an eye, and it even burned his face, like really badly.  I think people that want to frag those things are as crazy as Tony. 

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Good thread on the side effects on Palytoxin Poisoning. Has some pretty pictures of a guy through his states of the poisoning.

Wiki says:

Palytoxin is an intense vasoconstrictor,[2] and is considered to be one of the most toxic non-peptide substances known, second only to maitotoxin in terms of toxicity in mice. Palytoxin is a natural compound that is produced by several marine species and can be found in many more species due to accumulation. Palytoxin was originally isolated in 1971 in Hawaii from the seaweed-like coral "Limu make o hana (Seaweed of Death from Hana)".[4] Later, in 1982 its full chemical structure was published by Daisuke Uemura and co-workers at Nagoya University.[5][6][7] Yoshito Kishi's group at Harvard University first synthesized palytoxin in 1994.[8][9] Palytoxin targets the sodium-potassium pump protein by binding to the molecule in such a way that the molecule is locked in a position where it allows passive transport of both the sodium and potassium ions, thereby destroying the ion gradient that is essential for most cells. Because palytoxin affects every cell in the body, the symptoms are very different for the various routes of exposure. The most common exposure in humans is by ingestion. The onset of symptoms in a palytoxin poisoning is rapid, and death usually follows quickly.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
I don't like the sound of that death part at all. 

So worth it. Just fragged some Candy apple zoas....they are sharp looking :D Any my face is still the same as before, not that it is a marked improvement Lol, but at least I am alive.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i just razor blade them in a small tub of water to prevent squirting.... when done i wash hands good with soap. as long as you dont rub your eyes or touch something you eat your fine unless you attempt with a gaping bloody wound in your hand have done over 100 times and im still alive

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Can paly's be ripped off of a rock? Or is a razor the best way to remove them from the rock (without busting up the rock)? I've got a few hundred heads I want to remove from the side of an enormous rock.... a rock that I would very much like to keep intact. Using a razor on each small group sounds cumbersome and I don't look forward to the process at all.