What Is This?

nelson

I have noticed recently these white hair like things growing on one of my rocks. I am wanting to know what it is and whether or not it is something I need to get rid of. Thanks in advance.

Nelson

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 106

nelson

I actually kinda like the paly's, but I try to keep them under control.

@Salty Cracker Are the paly's actually dangerous if so, how.

@TORX If it is white sponge, that is good right? I have other sponge growing in the tank, a nice yellow/green one.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
This should almost be on our front page here. So many people have plays in the tank:

Palytoxin (1) is an extremely poisonous substance associated with marine coelenterates (zoanthids) of the genus Palythoa(7). Its intravenous lethality (LD50), which ranges from 0.025 µg/kg in the rabbit to 0.45 µg/kg in the mouse (2), is exceeded only by certain proteins and polypeptides (3). The toxicity of Palythoa, was probably noticed for the first time by the Hawaiians who used exudates of a rare, but very toxic species, P. toxica(4), to poison spear tips for warfare. Investigators at the University of Hawaii were led to P. toxicawhen they followed up the lead provided by the entry limu-make-o-Hana(the deadly seaweed of Hana) in the Hawaiian-English Dictionary (5). Japanese researchers, on the other hand, were led to P. tuberculosawhen they traced the dietary origin of a water-soluble toxin that had been found in the digestive tract of some toxic filefish, Alutera scripta(6,7).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin

In other words, the palys you have in your tank there are seriously lethal threats to mammalian life forms, of which you are one.

SamB

Super Active Member
I delayed responding because I couldn't determine what it was between the palys but I'm in agreement with @TORX about his thoughts on sponge and yes they are a good filter feeder
Just keep your eye on it to make sure that they don't get out of control !

nelson

This should almost be on our front page here. So many people have plays in the tank:

Palytoxin (1) is an extremely poisonous substance associated with marine coelenterates (zoanthids) of the genus Palythoa(7). Its intravenous lethality (LD50), which ranges from 0.025 µg/kg in the rabbit to 0.45 µg/kg in the mouse (2), is exceeded only by certain proteins and polypeptides (3). The toxicity of Palythoa, was probably noticed for the first time by the Hawaiians who used exudates of a rare, but very toxic species, P. toxica(4), to poison spear tips for warfare. Investigators at the University of Hawaii were led to P. toxicawhen they followed up the lead provided by the entry limu-make-o-Hana(the deadly seaweed of Hana) in the Hawaiian-English Dictionary (5). Japanese researchers, on the other hand, were led to P. tuberculosawhen they traced the dietary origin of a water-soluble toxin that had been found in the digestive tract of some toxic filefish, Alutera scripta(6,7).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin

In other words, the palys you have in your tank there are seriously lethal threats to mammalian life forms, of which you are one.

Just trying to understand it. I always though this palytoxin was only released when they are cut. Also cant all zoanthids release this palytoxin.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Just trying to understand it. I always though this palytoxin was only released when they are cut. Also cant all zoanthids release this palytoxin.

Yes but these are the worst it will but you in the hospital if you don't believe us ask @Shooter000 he had a bad tangle with them , but when they grow and touch something else alive they will fight and can release the toxin in the water and can kill other things , I've had those pallys for about a year then I killed them left them out in the sun because I was done dancing with the devil lol . But seriously we are just looking out for your safety and everything else alive in the tank .

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
The way I look at it, is sort of like keeping a poisonous snake as a pet. Sure it's fine while it's behind glass, but if you ever put your hand in the tank....

Open cuts and whatnot, scrapes, etc. Paly's emit a toxic ooze when you touch them. Just bad news all around (I had to nuke a tank to get rid of those very same palys)

nelson

@Luke. @Salty Cracker I was not trying to be rude or anything. I know you guys are just looking out for my best interest. Is the best way to get rid of these palys just by leaving the rock out of the water for a period of time but at the same time I don't want to lose the sponge either. I actually bought a rock of these guys because I liked the look. The ones on this rock came with the set-up when I bought it. The paly's are in a very limited area.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Luke. @Salty Cracker I was not trying to be rude or anything. I know you guys are just looking out for my best interest. Is the best way to get rid of these palys just by leaving the rock out of the water for a period of time but at the same time I don't want to lose the sponge either. I actually bought a rock of these guys because I liked the look. The ones on this rock came with the set-up when I bought it. The paly's are in a very limited area.

I see that , personally I wouldn't care about the sponge on there they will grow back in Time

Josh

sigh..... 1 of my new zoa frags just spouted 1 of those green palys.
><

anybody have any suggestions on how to remove it without killing my frag of "fire and ice"

Ever since i read about palytoxin i dont go anywhere near it without nylon gloves on, however i still treat them with respect.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Keep in mind that palytoxin is toxic, but when in your tank, you should have next to nothing to worry about. Especially if you use gloves. When it is diluted in 30 gallons of water, even an open cut on you hand would typically go unharmed. There is a lot in our tanks that can hospitalize us. It also helps to not lick them.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Keep in mind that palytoxin is toxic, but when in your tank, you should have next to nothing to worry about. Especially if you use gloves. When it is diluted in 30 gallons of water, even an open cut on you hand would typically go unharmed. There is a lot in our tanks that can hospitalize us. It also helps to not lick them.
Agree...they are "fairly" safe in the tank, the problem is, they breed like zombie rabbits, and suddenly you have 50000 of them, and that multiplies the risk...

I have have had limited success killing them with pickling lime, but it takes several applications to kill even one off. Chlorine bath did wonders to really kill them, but probably not the best in the reef tank..

Josh

Im not worried about them when doing tank maintenance etc etc, however taking a frag out to remove the paly so it doesnt kill off my nice colony of zoa's is venturing into "pay attention" range.

The paly is kind of off to the side and on a frag plug, if i take it out and gently peel/cut it at the base with a knife is that a viable plan?