What Made You Quit The Hobby? What Brought You Back?

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Since Christmas is all but in our rear view mirror and my thought are on the end of this year and the possibilities of what 2016 will bring.

I was wondering if you quit the hobby what was that moment that made the decision for you?

When you got back into the hobby, what was it that made you get the itch?

Bigfish

Every summer I contemplate shutting down my tank as I am hardly ever home let alone in the house, making it a chore to do maintenance. It would also be nice to get my hydro bill down a bit, but then when I think about how much is invested in the tank and what I would be able to sell it for, I always end up keeping it. I still might eventually take a break from it and sell off the tank but keep majority of the equipment so when I get the itch to build something new, I wont have to replace it all. I get bored with my setup sometimes and enjoy building and plumbing tanks so thats what would bring me back to it. If I ever do start a new tank, I can tell you it will be external overflow!

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I have been in and out of the hobby. first time I got out was after I got out of Discus and was having my basement completely finished. My son was just around a year old and my monster 125 gallon just didn't have a place in the new basement. I sold it to a plumber that was working on the job lol.

Then about a year later I picked up a 20 tall and a pair of chocolate paradise fish, they started breeding like mad so I had to get a 10 gallon fry tank. then off i went. I had a terrible MTS issue that at one point had me up to 10 tanks. all of various sizes and different fish. This was all fresh water stuff and I was meeting fellow hobbyist with 20-50 some times more tanks setup in their basement. I was meeting guys in parking lots all over the golden horseshoe buying and selling fish. it was bad.

I finally down sized to a few tanks and then after several life changing events. I sold my house and moved to Mississauga for a job. 5 minutes from the dundas strip but I was renting a condo so no fish. I finally went to R2O one day, just to look around and the guy there gave me a betta. damn him. I had him for over 2 years. Moved back to Brantford (home town) and he didnt last long with the Brantford water. I picked up a 3 gallon tank and another betta. last year I snapped and bought a 20 gallon nuvo and I have been spending money ever since. I am mulling over the idea of a 60/90 cube or a 80 from Canada coral or maybe check out Aqua inspirations new reef tanks. Maybe just splurge and get a red sea all in one. keep the 20 for a quarantine tank. I did grab a 7 gallon cube but other than rock sand and a few snails and those damn emerald crabs(killing and eating my snails)

Maybe I shoudl get you Bigfish to come down and build me a tank ;)

Bigfish

I have been in and out of the hobby. first time I got out was after I got out of Discus and was having my basement completely finished. My son was just around a year old and my monster 125 gallon just didn't have a place in the new basement. I sold it to a plumber that was working on the job lol.

Then about a year later I picked up a 20 tall and a pair of chocolate paradise fish, they started breeding like mad so I had to get a 10 gallon fry tank. then off i went. I had a terrible MTS issue that at one point had me up to 10 tanks. all of various sizes and different fish. This was all fresh water stuff and I was meeting fellow hobbyist with 20-50 some times more tanks setup in their basement. I was meeting guys in parking lots all over the golden horseshoe buying and selling fish. it was bad.

I finally down sized to a few tanks and then after several life changing events. I sold my house and moved to Mississauga for a job. 5 minutes from the dundas strip but I was renting a condo so no fish. I finally went to R2O one day, just to look around and the guy there gave me a betta. damn him. I had him for over 2 years. Moved back to Brantford (home town) and he didnt last long with the Brantford water. I picked up a 3 gallon tank and another betta. last year I snapped and bought a 20 gallon nuvo and I have been spending money ever since. I am mulling over the idea of a 60/90 cube or a 80 from Canada coral or maybe check out Aqua inspirations new reef tanks. Maybe just splurge and get a red sea all in one. keep the 20 for a quarantine tank. I did grab a 7 gallon cube but other than rock sand and a few snails and those damn emerald crabs(killing and eating my snails)

Maybe I shoudl get you Bigfish to come down and build me a tank ;)
Haha, I can't physically build the tank, but I've done everything else myself. For some reason I enjoy the plumbing aspect of it. Mine had to run absolutely silently! Only thing you hear is the slight hum of the pumps and the mp40's.