WHAT THE HECK IS THIS!!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
lewis844 link said:
I k ow this is a crab but what kind?? good or bad ?? Does any one know
please help.

not sure, but i think hes pretty darn evil looking.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
Sharp claw, and hairy... Typically 2 big negatives when it comes to crabs.

Taking the rock out if possible, and targeting it with a sharp object works.... fresh RO water can get them moving too. Torches work well aswell.....

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh I like that idea J_T, get out the torch!!! Wish I would have thought of that one, so long as you don't mind a cooked crab legs sell lol

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

P

phi delt reefer

epoxy resin over him in the rock so he'll be a preserved show piece...

amber.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Gorilla Crab

20080124_173808_21518.jpg

Good call daleomilla, I think I had the same in my tank. He was breaking off small parts of live rock and trimming off zoas. Was glad to get him out of my tank. He is dried up somewhere in my tank stuff as he is kinda cool looking.

lewis844

Soi have been watching this guy tonight and he is an algea eating machine. IF he was a meat eater would he eat algea like this?? I have coral and fish and they have not been touched by this big fella. Let me know i still have not completely id this guy.

J_T

Website Affiliate
Website
www.jtcustomacrylics.com
lewis844 link said:
Soi have been watching this guy tonight and he is an algea eating machine. IF he was a meat eater would he eat algea like this?? I have coral and fish and they have not been touched by this big fella. Let me know i still have not completely id this guy.

It may not be eating that algae. Sometimes they are ripping it out to get under it. Critters and worms etc.

W

wildexpressions

interesting. Better pictures would be cool.

There are so few reef safe crabs that the general reaction is that if you do not recognize it than it is evil and odds are it is.  Many crabs are opportunistic feeders and will consumer pretty much anything, plant or animal. A picture of its claws often give a good indication. Herbivorous crabs have generally evolved claws that are suited to grazing. The Emerald Crab being the most common good example.

waldo

I agree cool lookin critter put him in your sump.
Place some food in the bottom of a bucket,
Put egg create about 3" from the bottom of the bucket, 
Place the rock with crab on the egg create and he should go for the food....