What's Changed In The Hobby?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey guys,

I used to run a nice SPS dominant reef system years ago. I feel like the bug is starting to come back. I'm not jumping in just yet because I know I will be all in on a nice set up when/if I decide to do it.

So what's changed in say the last 7 years. Has the price of livestock gone up significantly? The equipment? Good selection of local frags? Any break throughs in equipment...? My old system used Metal halide, LED actinic, Tunze flow, good skimmer , alk/ca dosers, bio pellets and GFO.

Seasquirt

Welcome back, I know you from AP, twin 400 Pendants, you were the best, I’m sure you will be again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ya, I guess your tank was okay I guess. LoL. Try one of the best in Ontario. If I remember correctly people were fighting over your coral when you shut down.

Welcome back. Not much has changed. Prices went up, but they always do; especially with demand going up here. There are some nice sexy sticks out there for sure. Equiptment is still relatively expensive depending on your end game. You can still do black boxes and jebao or full Ecotech with GHL. Apex came out with a new generation controller in 2016 that is capable of using their Trident (auto tester) and works with the DOS to auto dose supplements according to testing. Ecotech has a new gen of lights and moved away from Reeflink to use a mobile app, Mobius. GHL has come down in price to be more aligned with our market. Also there is a trend to make fish rooms and sump as sexy as the display.

I am looking forward to seeing what you build. True OG back in the hobby

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Matt1997

28FC4844-CA38-4704-9959-236C8150C7D4.jpeg
For anyone who doesn’t know.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hey Darryl.. nice to see your post.

Interested to see if you step back into the hobby. It will be nice to see your approach based on what you've done in the past and how you will plan to do things differently moving forward. Always a lot of new technology and new gear being introduced. I think the biggest advancement is now proven with LED lighting- it's a no brainer. I don't think the function of skimmers and water movement has really changed too much. Web-based apps, controllers, water testing technology, and energy efficiency has advanced a lot.

Your last system was a good example about old tech that worked well. Not a lot of new builds going with MH/VHO combos or a classic wavebox, :) although I haven't been too current on novel trends for several years. Your entry back into the hobby will boost a lot of excitement locally and nationally- do it!

A lot of your classsic OG pieces can still be found, just need to look harder for these now.

It will be exciting to see your build moving forward in 2021~

T

Seasquirt

One thing that may be new is the Algae Turf Scubber, it was once a diy piece of equipment but now some manufactorers are building them, run properly it would do away with having a Refugeum and a skimmer. Something to check out.
I remember going to your place when you lived in Burlington and buying T5 bulbs. Thats been awhile. You and Spyd had the tanks to follow. His was the 180 and yuo went to his place as well in Newhamberg. I wonder if he will be following you back in.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
Hey guys,

Nice to see some familiar names still. Led's were just getting good when I left. Also automation was starting to really take off. I like the idea of LEDs but having crazy controller functions never really appealed to me. I always liked to keep things KISS as possible.

Great to hear that I can still find a few of my old pieces around...would love to get some of those back.

It's also great to hear that the hobby is still flourishing. I might have to get something going in 2021.... as long as the stock market doesn't crash again...o_O

Hey Tyler, I just looked at a few pictures of your tank from 2018,2019....wow you built up a beauty. Congrats. How's it going these days?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Howdy stranger...nobody ever escapes. I still have your limeade and pink lemonade growing. Now that I think about it, I think I have 1 or two stylos that were from you too. I got rid of banana tabler because that thing was a weed lol. Enjoy your stay.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I had ended up buying your tank, it sat in storage for awhile and then i moved so i had to sell it. i regret that greatly.

I just got back in early this year ( thanks pandemic)
livestock prices have gone through the roof. Corals, certain fish, just nuts.

I agree though, you can never escape lol welcome back :)

wtac

WB...I've been reefless for almost 20 years and its tough to get the reef bug out of your system!

Elatedly happily to be able to fully retire from this business and the engineering field. I've shipped my 500gal glass panels from TO to Cgy and back...don't think I will set one up of that size and will probably have a humble 90gal reef and/or a floor to ceiling palaudarium/"living wall' with a half filled aquarium "catch basin" with a land section for frogs and newts. We'll see after renos and what The Boss will allow me to have :p. I plan on automation with a core GHL system and other components.

Since making my exit from the aquarium scene late 2017, honestly, not much has changed with "core players" in the industry and typical interpersonal/political/business nonsense, but I digress.

Lots of great products coming out of Germany but good luck seeing them, used, reviewed and supported here in North America with the shift in commerce and economics with the pandemic. Give it 2-3 years IMHO before you get back into this whole hog or keep it as KISS as possible.

JM2C

shipwreck

Welcome back Darryl. As mentioned prices have gotten ridiculous. Its much harder to find larger corals like they used to.sell with more frags even in stores. Hawaii has shut down again for fish so that will drive fish prices up as well.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk