What's your QT Process?

Tim A

Living in Canada sometimes it is hard to get some of the medications other hobbiest use for their QT Process, so I was wondering what other members/Canadians do in this case?

Do you even QT?
What is your QT process?
How big is your QT tank? Does it matter?
What do you dose in it?
How often do you water change it?
What do you use for filtration?
How do you know when your done QT and ready to place fish in display tank?

Jason Bell

No QT here ever. 35 years ago it was hard enough to run one tank, never mind a temp tank. Read and spoke to several long time reefers and their view was similar to mine, the fish has been captured, bagged and shipped for who knows how long, completely out of any familiar environment, no idea when last meal was. Why add to that?

Do I look it over? Yes. Do I fall for the damaged, sick aka going to save it? Nope. If it looks good and I buy it, the intent is to place in the display.

Have I had an ick outbreak? Yes. My yellow tang showed signs and within 2 days was covered, along with 2 clowns, no others showed any signs. I always have Omega One flakes with garlic in the blue container and although nutritional value is like eating potato chips, it keeps them eating. I still have all the same fish from that tank in my current tank other than the diamond goby that I suspect aged out, still miss that guy.

You'll always get various opinions, this is mine, to each their own.

Luke.

Distinguished Member
@Jason Bell
I think he hit it on the head with that one , well said bud .
I’ve personally been on the Fence, I’m kind of a “in theory” guy , but I don’t qt, I’ve had better with Jason’s method (know what to look for when buying fish) then trying to qt , I’ve had to many spikes in the qt fish gets stressed then dies .

I see how qt works but it’s a lot of work and you can lie , it has to be very stressful for fish .

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I am in the no -QT camp, but in theory a big believer that we should quarantine our fish.

I haven’t had much success quarantining and try to be careful selecting “heathy fish” for my system. Usually a heathy specimen from another reefers system that is eating is usually a win for me.

When adding new fish, I always bump up feedings for all including - selcon and vitamins usually help get all tank mates through any ick outbreaks.

I really think that the LFS has the responsibility to hold fish long enough to medicate and ensure they are eating before sold. Unfortunately, they want to move them out the door ASAP to pass on the risk to excited reefers.

I did get a bad case of brook and/or velvet - which was distasterous. In a perfect world I would quarantine if I could because it’s ultimately up to us to ensure success.

Last edited:

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I QT all my fish for 4 weeks in a 20 gal tank with a hang on filter and an internal foam filter, heater and a small light.
I also use a seachem ammonia alert and do frequent water changes.
I once purchased a few fish and inspected them very well and did not QT and one had velvet and wiped out 90% of my fish over the course of a few days, that was like 17 fish.