White balance questions etc...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Just curious...

On my little Sony a37 SLT I can dial WB to 9900K and add green/red masking but any further WB adjustments have to be done in post.  If I try to set a custom WB with a white card under atinic or RB led's I get an error message saying that the color temp exceeds 9900k.  Are "proper" (read Nikon/Canon) DSLR's also limited this kind of WB range?

The reason I'm asking is that I have been playing more extensively with my Vid Cam's manual settings and have not been able to find the limit to its white card WB range (manual and auto settings are very limited but custom goes off the charts).

A quick example of the color rendering...you'll have to excuse the cyano...the dirty glass...the autofocus light on...etc...just shot this to test WB...

Shot under PC atinics only no post on colors.

http://youtu.be/jIxAT7SbnZE

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
no i can use a white card in my tank with a canon, there hasnt ever been a limit error here. i dont use a card tho as it gives an unrealistic look as it strips the tank of the "blue" hue totally. instead of using a card i use the sand bed for white balancing and thats a good starting point for me, i can tweak plus or minus on blue red magenta and green also with the canon. when i shoot actinic blue photos i always have to post edit the saturation of blue back into the photo .. when i use full day lighting for photos i get the white balance spot on via the camera and rarely tweak anything but the crop.

harleymike

Super Active Member
Duke link said:
no i can use a white card in my tank with a canon, there hasnt ever been a limit error here. i dont use a card tho as it gives an unrealistic look as it strips the tank of the \"blue\" hue totally. instead of using a card i use the sand bed for white balancing and thats a good starting point for me, i can tweak plus or minus on blue red magenta and green also with the canon. when i shoot actinic blue photos i always have to post edit the saturation of blue back into the photo .. when i use full day lighting for photos i get the white balance spot on via the camera and rarely tweak anything but the crop.

Holly s$%t its duke.  ;D

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
harleymike link said:
[quote author=Duke link=topic=5515.msg52646#msg52646 date=1370358396]
no i can use a white card in my tank with a canon, there hasnt ever been a limit error here. i dont use a card tho as it gives an unrealistic look as it strips the tank of the \"blue\" hue totally. instead of using a card i use the sand bed for white balancing and thats a good starting point for me, i can tweak plus or minus on blue red magenta and green also with the canon. when i shoot actinic blue photos i always have to post edit the saturation of blue back into the photo .. when i use full day lighting for photos i get the white balance spot on via the camera and rarely tweak anything but the crop.

Holly s$%t its duke.  ;D
[/quote]

ya im still here, just been busy with real life lately, i saw you cruising the stang a few days back down by the bridge, looks great man!!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=harleymike link=topic=5515.msg52648#msg52648 date=1370358630]
[quote author=Duke link=topic=5515.msg52646#msg52646 date=1370358396]

Holly s$%t its duke.  ;D
[/quote]

ya im still here, just been busy with real life lately, i saw you cruising the stang a few days back down by the bridge, looks great man!!
[/quote]

N we were just talkin about your absence lol

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Also able to white card with both my nikons but don't ever. I find 10k to be fine for most photos.

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Thanks for the feedback guys.  For stills fixing the WB in post is no big deal.  It's for shooting video that it is a bit of a limitation since that is touchier to alter WB on a video stream and keep it looking natural.

White card is how I'm used to doing it with video, haven't actually ended up using it for stills since it is so easy to dial in shot by shot if necessary.  BTW white card balancing gives very different results depending on how far under the surface the card is when you calibrate. The vid above was shot with WB set just below the surface and those are pure atinic bulbs only although with that WB setting even the bulbs themselves at the beginning look light full spectrum white.