Who’s Still In This Hobby ?!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Same...kind of hard to just pack it all in, we all know you get pennies on the dollar for used equipment, people won't pay $500 for a $10,000 setup. Plus just walking away from it once you "figure it out" is tough too. I'd have a lot more free time if I did mothball it though lol.

Cliff

I don’t know how many years it’s been for me. My tank is sort of on cruise control. I never thought I’d get to the point where my biggest problem is sps touching each other and killing each other when they grow. Or basically having to throw corals in the garbage because no one will buy them And they grow too quick. I know I shouldn’t be complaining about it but it’s almost as stressful as having a tank that’s not doing well. Nothing worse than having to healthy corals touch each other and then die the next day. I actually have a huge urge to re-aquascape half of my tank. To throw out the mediocre corals and replace them with high-end ones. It’s just hard to get rid of fully mature large colonies when you’ve spent a couple years growing them

Last edited:

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I don’t know how many years it’s been for me. My tank is sort of on cruise control. I never thought I’d get to the point where my biggest problem is sps touching each other and killing each other when they grow. Or basically having to throw corals in the garbage because no one will buy them And they grow too quick. I know I shouldn’t be complaining about it but it’s almost as stressful as having a tank that’s not doing well. Nothing worse than having to healthy corals touch each other and then die the next day. I actually have a huge pitch to react with scape half of my tank. To throw out the mediocre corals and replace them with high-end ones. It’s just
hard to get rid of fully mature large colonies when you’ve spent a couple years growing them

I've had this "problem" too. That's why I tend to stick to certain types of coral. For example, most millies won't kill other millies, but thinks like LPS will kill anything they touch, and montis just overgrow and kill by stealth. I found that the best way to deal with it, is to cut the main colony, and put the trimmings in the sump. That way they keep the calcium in the system, and as long as it's not a whole colony dying off, it usually doesn't affect the other corals.

I've got a colony of fire and ice that's becoming the size of a basketball. It'll have to get chopped sooner or later...

Quartapound

I had been riding the 'cruise control' wave for a very long time... We recently purchased a Promaster High Roof and we're converting it ourselves into a full out camper. I am working fully remote now and I want the ability to leave the house for weeks or even months at a time if need be, without worry. I'm throwing in the towel, for now. Maybe one day, again.

Seasquirt

Wow, i was gonna say Salty and Cliff that i wish i had your problems but, i get it, it's gotta be tough. Throwing away or throwing in the sump. Too bad you couldn't donate but then you open a whole big can of worms there. Time to rescape i guess.

Me I'm happy to see an additional head on the Zoas i got from Steve a month ago, just starting out with a lot of help from my fellow fragtank members.

I'm very happy with the system so far and camping season is right around the corner, we will have to get out 30 ft Travel trailer out of storage and book some trips, yes there are still opportunities to get away in these Covid times. Thank goodness that my ATO has a 7 day supply of water.