Who Can Drill A Tank For Me ??

Pipes

jeffopentax is from Brantford. He has a post in DIY. "tanks drilled 3. tanks broken 0" Sounds like a resume to me....

Easto

I have a 1 3/4 Diamond drill bit. I used it to drill 4 holes in my tank. You are welcome to have it.

Drilling was easy, my only issue is patience. My third hole I was getting bored and started to put pressure on the bit as it got to the end of the hole I had some binding and a bit of chipping. I fill the chips in with epoxy.

The final hole I learned my lesson and took my time. Came out smooth as butter.

It's pretty simple to drill, patience is the hard part.

Pipes

One of the you tube videos showed drilling a tank and they put tape inside to control the break out. Patience and lots of water are a real key apparently.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
yep start on a 45 degree angle and slowly turn it to 90 degrees takes about 2 min then just hold on low speed and let it slowly go through (drill does the work). i used putty in a circle to keep water in place and tape on the back side stopped chipping. entire hole on a 1/2" pane took 12 min each

Easto

I bought a wood hole saw that was slightly bigger than my diamond hole saw.

I cut a hole in a piece of wood to use as a guide.

Used some putty to make a pool of water where my hole was going.

Put the wooden guide on top and started to drill.

Just don't push the drill down. The water keeps the glass and bit cool. The weight of the drill is enough to grind through the glass. If you push you risk breaking the glass or causing large chips.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
yep start on a 45 degree angle and slowly turn it to 90 degrees takes about 2 min then just hold on low speed and let it slowly go through (drill does the work). i used putty in a circle to keep water in place and tape on the back side stopped chipping. entire hole on a 1/2" pane took 12 min each
12 min each?! You definitely play on the safe side :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishit

Ha ha ya it's scary but not as hard as people think it is but be carful most tanks are temperd bottom glass so if you are planing on drilling the bottom be sure it's not temperd look trough the side of the glass you can tell the diferance and princess auto sells the bits if there's one near you