Who Uses Glasses Lids ?

Tim A

I used it use glass lids, helped with evaporation, but then i made my own mesh top lid using window frame material and ordered clear mesh from amazon. I wanted more evaporation so it kind of acted like a water change so to speak getting fresh water in there. My tank has an evaporation of about .5 a gallon a day.

Greezzy

More cons than pros when going glass over mesh or topless.

Less evaporation is nice, especially when on vacation or leaving for a few days. And having to fill ATO containers less often is also a pro. But thats about it.

Glass does a number on gas exchange. Especially if you dont run a sump or or powerful skimmer. You will notice the effects of poor gas exchange as PH levels drop..which we all fight againt.

Heat also becomes a major issue. Obviously more it in the summer unless you crank the AC or run a chiller. Then as the light go out temp will drop causing heat spikes over the day.

That evaporation has to go somewhere and that's usually the glass. Add to that salt creep and other crud and light penetration takes a pretty big dive, defeating the point of expensive lights.

monizb

Super Active Member
I have read mix reviews online as well I’m going to keep the glass off for now and see how things go I am running an Ato unit ect and running two heaters corals seems to be doing well when I had the lids on and ph was balancing out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[KRAFTIG]

I've been running a glass top for almost a year, though my DS tank is FOWLR. The tank is custom from Miracles. The glass top fits within the euro brace and there s a small 2-2.5" feeding hole with glass cap/feeder cover. Other than keeping the feeder cover off for venting I've seen no downside. I do have very go flow, large skimmer and decent size sump. PH stays pretty much constant too based on the testing period/time.

Kyle1970

Always gone open top or mesh.
Too much reflection from glass.
Also as stated above, too much salt creep and constant cleanup of the glass.
Mesh great idea to keep carpet surfing to a minimum.
Comes Down to looks for me. Open top cube iljust looks better.