never seen this before ,wonder why  it does that
watch the video

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=50683%20

Sent from my HTC Incredible S

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I was gonna say its the increased pressure in the bottle keeping it from freezing but not sure why if you whack it that it would freeze then.  Freezing Point Depression:)

I coudl be way off though

parksy

Super Active Member
This is really cool its a super cooling effect that makes it unstable and will flash freeze instantly because the water is super pure and has less to bond to.

It was on Daily planet along time ago.

You can do it with beer to but that's just a waste!!!!! :eek:

dale

the molecules are at the edge of coverting from liquid to solid and are at the limits of their liquid characteristics including energy, so it needs some kind of external input to give enough friction energy to complete the transformation.  ., bump., and the moecules rub together and create a domino effect like transfer of energy... under pressure the molesules will be stable enough not to turn to gass either..,., just a guess.,

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
parksy link said:
This is really cool its a super cooling effect that makes it unstable and will flash freeze instantly because the water is super pure and has less to bond to.

Ive had beer that was left to long in the back of the pickup,still liquid,but once opened froze solid,might be same kinda thing

R

reeffreak

pulpfiction1 link said:
[quote author=parksy link=topic=3025.msg24624#msg24624 date=1346253161]

Ive had beer that was left to long in the back of the pickup,still liquid,but once opened froze solid,might be same kinda thing
[/quote]

beer has carbon dioxide in it which loweres the freezing point , which is why it does not freeze , when its opened it loses the carbon dioxide and in return the beer freezes

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=3025.msg24643#msg24643 date=1346267426]

[/quote]

beer has carbon dioxide in it which loweres the freezing point , which is why it does not freeze , when its opened it loses the carbon dioxide and in return the beer freezes
[/quote]

i guess you do learn something new every day  thx pat

;D

R

reeffreak

no problem , but the water deal is a whole other story ..... water is a  complicated there are  13 diferent phases of water or ice depending on pressure and temp  ... ive got a headache already lol  I havent wrapped my brain around this kind of sceince since high school

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
reeffreak link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=3025.msg24643#msg24643 date=1346267426]

Im pretty sure its the alcohol that has a lower freezing temperature.  Not sure if the CO2 plays are role as well but pop will freeze before beer and I've never seen hard liquor freeze.

[/quote]

[/quote]

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Just noticed this and had to show my boy the nice vid!

We had been playing around with super-cooling about a month ago and he's enthralled. (another science nerd like his old man) 8)

...and this is why, in thermodynamics, we only refer to melting points...not freezing points/homogeneous nucleation points/glass transition points.....

Anyone who's actually interested should look up the Mpemba effect...very cool story/slap at the know-it-all professors...the boy did a project on that a couple of years ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.