Would This Work?

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I've been hearing good things about the maxspect gyre, and have an idea in my head about how i'd like to use one in my tank. My tank is 36"x36"x26". In one corner is my BA overflow box, which is about 4.5" deep. I hate the look of powerheads, so my thinking is i could put a gyre vertically in the corner, underneath the overflow. If this sounds like a viable plan, what size gyre should i get? All input/ideas are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heath

Distinguished Member
good idea, I like the looks of the gyre as well, keep us posted,you could be on to something..

Kman

Super Active Member
I try and place the flow towards the overflow box. So you can push things into it not push away. You might get the oil slick (bio film) on the apposite side of the overflow if it flows away from it.

As to what size it really depends on your budget and what you want to keep. I like to go bigger and turn things down just in case I upgrade at some point. It saves me buying it twice.

heath

Distinguished Member
I'm going to have to do some research on this, today is housework, I kind of neglected it with doing the tank on the weekend.. I can see it in my head, if it will work vertical, just think how clean the look will be, no obstruction when looking at the tank from the side..
Jeff you could be on to something here...

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I try and place the flow towards the overflow box. So you can push things into it not push away. You might get the oil slick (bio film) on the apposite side of the overflow if it flows away from it.

As to what size it really depends on your budget and what you want to keep. I like to go bigger and turn things down just in case I upgrade at some point. It saves me buying it twice.

I understand what you're saying, but if was aimed from one corner to the opposite corner, would it not bounce back towards the overflow? Maybe it's impossible to say without actually trying it.

Kman

Super Active Member
You can always try it and see because you never know with flow. If you aimed it low enough it might work, but the flow would have to be pretty high. If you have rockwork and corals in the way it will change the flow.

heath

Distinguished Member
just checked out the gyre, I think it will work vertical, but man they are not cheap...

Sewerat

Super Active Member
Nothin that is any good is cheap,
You can have it two of three ways
Cheap
Fast
Or done right

If it's cheap and fast, it won't be done right
If it's fast and done right it won't be cheap.
And if it's cheap and done right, it surely won't be cheap
You choose

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I tried it vertically and I wouldn't do it again. The flow slows down a lot over time. I think the design is better for horizontal

Don't use t on pulse. It will blow the side of the tank off

Kman

Super Active Member
Look at it this way. As a plus if you use it horizontal it will be less of a profile of it that you have to look at. It will give you cleaner lines.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
This might make it easier to understand why i want to use it vertically in the back corner (don't judge the canopy, i will get around to finishing it some day!) I think it would be barely visible back there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433900038.168179.jpg

reef keeper

Super Active Member
It works by pushing the surface water. It will be crap under the overflow. Use it on the wall side near the top.