WYSIWYG Frags

Jewel

Aaron, I picked up a few Corals before Xmas. One was the War Coral and the other was the Grn & Red Aussie Chalice. Just a few questions. Are the both Chalices?, The R&G is that the proper name? And where do they like to be ? On the sand? More light? more Flow. They are doing great no prob. Whats so ever. Just wanted a little more info Thanks

curiousphil

Super Active Member
The war coral is a favia or favite (I can never tell the difference!).  But yeah definitely not a chalice.  I would take my placement advice with a grain of salt since I'm not an LPS guy but I believe they both enjoy low flow and lower-medium light.  Lots of people keep them on the sandbeds of SPS tanks.

Jewel

Thanks, I did a bit of research on them and found out that the War Coral was a Favia, The Chalice? If you look at the pictures You will see that the Frag is on a plug but whats on that plug is very thick, Is that thickness the Coral or is it Rock that the Coral has grown on? And now as it grows how thick will the actual Coral be? Should I place it on a flat rock or just leave it on the sand bed and let it grow out over the sand bed, Sorry I am an LPS guy just not familiar with Chalices or Favias.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Looking at the photos above it looks like the chalice thickness is the whole thing, no rock. It could be cut down, but doing so you are actually cutting into the corals skeleton it has made, so if you do at all, I would leave a good chunk of skeleton.

Jewel

I'm not gonna cut it down, If I leave it it will continue to grow that thickness, I had no idea that Chalices were that thick. Hopefully they both grow out to be Huge pieces, Thanks for your help.