Zoanthids not opening?

MrHermit85

Hi all, I am a little baffled with my zoanthids. They were doing great and always opened up fully but now they seem to be only half open on the one side of the colony. I thought maybe my acans were sliming them so I moved them away as well as my LOBO but still no change. I havnt moved them for a few months and po4 and nitrate is at zero. (Or close to). I have also added a foxface who is very well fed and I havnt caught him going near them, he grazes around them but never touches.

Any ideas?

MrHermit85

I will test my alk tomorrow and dip everything too, hopefully that will work as my zoa"s are my favourite!

Thanks for the replies!

MrHermit85

Pistol link said:
looks like zoa mites in the picture, are the specs moving?

I havnt seen them move yet. I have spent quite a bit of time staring at them over the past few days to try see if anything pops up. Nothing as of yet. I am going to try a fresh water dip tomorrow just to see if anything falls off then I will also dip with RX afterwards. I hope it's not mites or nudis...

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Turn off all flow and then watch for bugs/preds..... I find it helps.
You can also just remove the zoos and place in a container with your tank water in it and then look for them also rather than just going ahead and dipping. Best of luck, hope they turn around for you.

I should also note that you cannot rule out the foxface either.....unless you are actually watching him 24/7...?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Any zoa issues I've ever had were from clear stringy sponge growing in the frags, a few minutes exposed to the air and it fixed them right up

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Yes I realize many reefers have foxface  in their tanks without issues......well not yet anyways......fact is tho that these fish are known to develope a taste for zoos or lps.....that's all I'm saying.

MrHermit85

Reef Hero link said:
Yes I realize many reefers have foxface  in their tanks without issues......well not yet anyways......fact is tho that these fish are known to develope a taste for zoos or lps.....that's all I'm saying.

They are for sure. I took the risk knowingly, I wish if it was him I could catch him. He is really devious though as I watch the tank from the doorway sometimes so they can't see me to see if I can catch him in the act but he somehow always sees me even if the room behind me is completely dark and then he stops whatever he's doing and moves to the top of the tank and swims back and forth lol. I he is very well fed, I feed him nori every other day, mysis and brine and pellet concoction every other day and 1 day of just pellets and a good amount too....

I am going to pull the zoas out and take a closer look. I have a short vase I can pop them in with tank water to take a look at whats potting.

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
get a rubbermaid tub. and one of those big ass clamps s from dollarstore.    and put it in thatf or a few days. and see how they do. no fish can get them.  ..its like what jerrys puts his nems in

spyd

Super Active Member
I've had my Foxface for 3 years now and it is a model citizen. I love it! Eats like a pig, including any unwanted algae. I just have to be aware of where it is in the tank when cleaning substrate, etc.

MrHermit85

spyd link said:
I've had my Foxface for 3 years now and it is a model citizen. I love it! Eats like a pig, including any unwanted algae. I just have to be aware of where it is in the tank when cleaning substrate, etc.

You worried about its spines? I got a fright the other day as my foxface freaked out when I put my hand in the tank and it rammed into my wrist a few times. Nothing happened though :)

I will dip the zoas though just in case

MrHermit85

Foxface you bastard!!!! Caught him in the act! Taking three big bites out of my Zoa's!!! Oh well it's either him or the zoas and he wins by a mile as he has done wonders with my algae.
I am going to try put another simple tank together to house them in.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
MrHermit85 link said:
Foxface you bastard!!!! Caught him in the act! Taking three big bites out of my Zoa's!!! Oh well it's either him or the zoas and he wins by a mile as he has done wonders with my algae.

Find a small drilled tank, feed it with a maxi jet and have it flow back into the same sump as your big tank, tank could be 10-20$, led bulb is 50$ and used Mj is maybe 15-20$

MrHermit85

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=MrHermit85 link=topic=6437.msg63272#msg63272 date=1381103411]

Find a small drilled tank, feed it with a maxi jet and have it flow back into the same sump as your big tank, tank could be 10-20$, led bulb is 50$ and used Mj is maybe 15-20$

[/quote]

That's a great idea! I actually have a spare 20 gallon, a maxijet 1200 and some diamond drill bits. Just need a par38 and I will be good to go :)