Zoas In Trouble

Dave Dobson

Hi all, I had a nice little Zoa that started as 3 heads but quickly grew to about 20 - I then had a bunch of issues with corals dying off, a result of too many fish in the tank is what I'm thinking. I'm really very new to this. I still have these zoa's and I'm hoping they'll come back but maybe someone has an idea of anything I can try to help it along. (ie feed it more, try to clean off stuff growing around it, that sort of thing...) They are still eating when I drop in some shrimp once a week. Any help is appreciated!
20150327_144015_resized.jpg

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
If theres nothing wrong with it, just leave it be. You can try spot feeding reef roids or something like that. But for the most part we cant do to much to speed up the growth rate. Just be sure that all parameters are correct.

Last edited:

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
you dont need to feed shrimp they will like the juice frome the frozen mysis better or a mixture like coral snow or reef roids that have a small particle size (even tho i have seen one catch and eat a whole mysis it takes more energy for it to digest) plus make sure there is no algae growing on the base as that will aggitate them alot and choke out your zoas.

they also like dirtier water so having too many fish isnt the problem unless you have something like and angel thats notoriouse for nipping corals

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Don't even feed them, I don't feed my zoas and they do fine, blow them off with a turkey baster and keep them clean. Sometimes when they start disintegrating they never recover.

kapelan

I had the same problem with Utter Chaos- they almost died.
When they were sick I noticed they opened in morning and always closed on bright light. So I mowed them to a shadow place. After about one month I noticed they always opened - it was a signal to provide more light.
Now they fully recovered, it took about 2-3 month.
Also noticed: feeding also helps.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
I had the same problem with Utter Chaos- they almost died.
When they were sick I noticed they opened in morning and always closed on bright light. So I mowed them to a shadow place. After about one month I noticed they always opened - it was a signal to provide more light.
Now they fully recovered, it took about 2-3 month.
Also noticed: feeding also helps.

If it ever happens again i have lots of utters and i am close as well so never fear ;)