Zoas wont open

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaked

My buddy has a huge colony of zoas, they opend for a while then notta, there not white yet but not opening ever,
i gave him a green zoa frag and it was open for a day and now its been closed for a cpl days.

should i add my tank water to a separtate quarintine and try to bring em back?
should i aviod putten back in my DT ?

he has SPS (doing mediocre) and a nice tree polyp (doing awsome)
and yeah hes using tap water.....
4 glo t5
hes not skimming kuz its putting buubles in his tank (no sump )

P

phi delt reefer

something tells me it might be a water quality issue. Have you tested phosphates/nitrates/ammonia?

is he doing large weekly water changes if he isnt skimming?

Blob-79

Super Active Member
ya definitly hes got some parameter(s) out. Dont want to sound abrupt but he needs to stop dumping money on livestock and get his equiptment in order. Im not going to touch the tap water point..as there is a long thread on this forum about it already. The skimmer he has, what kind is it? how old is it? There is always a way to eliminate micro bubbles. Im honestly surprised his sps are doing as good as "mediocre" lol  Just the fact the zoas are about to melt...says somethings way off. Also, im not familiar with tree polyps...wtf? :p can you find a image online and link it

P

phi delt reefer

tell him to put some filter floss in front of the skimmer output to break up the bubbles.

frag a small portion of those zoa's and put them in a tank you know is doing well. If the zoas do good somewhere else then he needs to work on his parameters.

iantower

Ive never had this problem but my brother just did.
He bought a large colony of zoas and they never really were opening. I gave him a batch of mine to see what they would do in his tank and they were fine, so we were lost. But then we were at reef raft and the guy there said it sounded like a worm problem that effects zoas and to give them a 5min fresh water dip. So he got a pail of treated fresh water at the same temp as his tank and put the colony in it, and sure enough within two minutes these little red worms started to fall out of everywhere going crazy and falling to the bottom of the pail. After the 5min took the colony out and put it back in the DT and the pail was littered on the bottom with these red worms. The next day about half of the colony is out, I think it took to long to figure out what was wrong to save the whole thing but he got most of them saved. Id say try this and good luck!
Cheers!

blaked

awsome idearer.

i gave hime some of mine and they wont open either, now the colony and the frag wont open even in my tank. 2 weeks later...

Status
Not open for further replies.