Food For Thought ....

shamous113

Now I feel really bad.:( I can only cook if it comes in a box with instructions. I have no idea what herbs, do what, to food.
I'm sure if you can teach plumbing we can help you with spices. Montreal chicken,veggie and steak spice are a good start, and you cant go wrong with garlic and onion powder.

Pipes

LOL... Their is hope for you grasshopper.

Ok. quick question. Turkey stuffing. Wife's (future ex wife) grand father use to make amazing stuffing. Do you use Basil in it? He didn't pass on the wisdom. And everything was hand measured. Never got out anything but a mixing bowl. Boy do I miss his stuffing. He passed 11 yrs ago.:(

heath

Distinguished Member
Ok. quick question. Turkey stuffing. Wife's (future ex wife) grand father use to make amazing stuffing. Do you use Basil in it? He didn't pass on the wisdom. And everything was hand measured. Never got out anything but a mixing bowl. Boy do I miss his stuffing. He passed 11 yrs ago.:(

that is how I was raised too... you will learn.. when you are eating try and identify the seasoning and spices used.. if it something that is really good try to replicate it at home...you will find your niche...

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
I did a large Tube Anemone cake once... lots of fun..it had jelly seahorses and Swedish fish caught in its tentacles. Of course that was back when cameras used film...I'll have to search for prints I can scan....

Pipes

I did a large Tube Anemone cake once... lots of fun..it had jelly seahorses and Swedish fish caught in its tentacles. Of course that was back when cameras used film...I'll have to search for prints I can scan....
Awesome. Would love to see it.

zoomster

You and my wife seem to have the same cooking method there Dave!
You have some awesome looking meals there dude, may have to invite myself over for dinner sometime soon! ;) Maybe you and my little woman should trade some recipes soon. She's a great cook as well and never uses a cookbook! :)

You and my wife seem to have the same cooking method there Dave!
You have some awesome looking meals there dude, may have to invite myself over for dinner sometime soon! ;) Maybe you and my little woman should trade some recipes soon. She's a great cook as well and never uses a cookbook! :)

I have no problem sharing the ingredients that I use to make anything. However I don't really write anything down (although I'm starting to for some things) and I don't exactly MEASURE either. The problem with that is when I happen to make something REALLY GOOD I don't remember how exactly I did it. The next time it will be good but I know I've made better. LOL So for certain things that I only make on occasion I'm starting to write the ingredients down. :rolleyes::p:D

CHILI ADVENTURES

So I made a HUGE pot of chili last weekend and snapped some photos of it's progression and thought I'd share.

First here's the stock pot that I used.

Next a couple cans of tomatoes, various kidney and other beans and some brown beans.

Here is the pot with only the tomatoes and beans in it ...

Now it's time for the veggies. I didn't end up using all of the peppers. The green, yellow and red were really large so I just used one of each and two of the orange as they were smaller. I had also bought another package of the mushrooms but only ended up using the one.

And here is the pot with the veggies added. Not much room left for any meat but don't worry ... I'll make it fit. LOL

Now for the tasty part ... THE MEAT!! :D

I had a large package of ground beef that I only ended up using half of. (It was 7.3 lbs originally.)

I also added some sausage meat .... 5 hot and 4 mild.

Now I think the pot is full enough. ;)

I also add tons of other ingredients and it changes every time I make it. In this chili there is some beer, hot sauce, cheese, fresh basil and garlic, hot salsa, worcestershire, almost a full dried GHOST pepper, some dried Cayenne peppers, about 1/3 of a Giant White Habanero along with many other dried spices. Surprisingly not killer spicy. My son said it's the best one I've made yet. I'm not sure about that but it's certainly a good one.

Here it is all packaged up for the fridge/freezer.

On a side note a buddy found some ghost pepper plants at a local nursery for cheap so he bought me one. It was flowering when I got it. It now has about 15 peppers on it and finally one of them is ripening. I'm going to call it my RASTA PEPPER until it ripens. :D:cool: