Hippo Tang In A 30 Gallon

TangPolice

Staff member
We are very active swimmers cover huge expanses of the reef while feeding. It must be remembered that tank size is only one factor in the equation. It should be a "given" that our tank provides adequate mature rockwork for grazing, aquascaping that provides us both hiding/resting spaces and allows for straight-line swimming in open water, and tank mates that are compatible. We will grow fast so no need to spend the money hoping that we will survive in the small tank just to be sold in a few months. Just my 5 cents. But what do I know ;)

suggestedtanktang.jpg

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
This thread seems to have gotten a little out of hand. I don't think anyone is disputing how much space any given fish needs. Why such opposition to raising/enjoying a fish while it is a suitable size for your tank, then rehoming to a larger tank for someone else to enjoy? If you want to break it right down to not being fair to the fish, no aquarium is truly big enough compared to what they'd have in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albz

This thread seems to have gotten a little out of hand. I don't think anyone is disputing how much space any given fish needs. Why such opposition to raising/enjoying a fish while it is a suitable size for your tank, then rehoming to a larger tank for someone else to enjoy? If you want to break it right down to not being fair to the fish, no aquarium is truly big enough compared to what they'd have in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This so much!!!! In a way, we are all doing a wrong keeping these fish in a aquarium and not the sea.. So i don't get why people complain about someone wanting a small yellow tang int heir tank.. even if its for a little while!... yellow tangs are my fav fish and i have a 29g and maybe later on i will get a small tang and when it gets big ill give it away for free... just enjoying it for those months is worth the money...

Cliff

Hahahahah that chart is funny.
Minimum tank size for a hippo of 240!? U serious? I have had hippo's for years and in nothing larger than a 6' 150.
Would I put a hippo on a 30? ABSOLUTLY NOT. But come on 240 8' minimum? Seems excessive

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Well sa
The question was 'do you recommend a Tang in a 30 gallon'. Not can it be done or should it be done. But a great discussion. It can be done, but no, it is not recommended by the majority of people.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Well said Mark.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Hahahahah that chart is funny.
Minimum tank size for a hippo of 240!? U serious? I have had hippo's for years and in nothing larger than a 6' 150.
Would I put a hippo on a 30? ABSOLUTLY NOT. But come on 240 8' minimum? Seems excessive
List was off a reef central thread.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
This hobby has been passed down from others who have studied and worked the bugs out . Guide lines set problems solved to make things easier for those coming after. Water changed regularly. .. lighting improved to make things grow... and the fact guide lines set for the species for different parimeters of fish... all put in perspective for a reason. Sure like torx said you can put it in a 30 gallon if ya want.... but you shouldn't.