Hippo Tang In A 30 Gallon

Canadianeh

sorry to hijack but do you recommend blue tang also know as Dori in the movie for 30 or 25 gallon tanks?

I see a guy in youtube have one and seems to be doing great for at least 9 months or more

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
sorry to hijack but do you recommend blue tang also know as Dori in the movie for 30 or 25 gallon tanks?

I see a guy in youtube have one and seems to be doing great for at least 9 months or more
I wouldn't recommend it. They get over a foot log and grow very fast! Plus, if you don't QT you're guaranteed to get an ich out break.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

No and no. After that, no blue/hippo/regal/dori Tangs in a 30 gallon. No tangs at all actually . For more, please start another thread for this discussion.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
The tang police have arrived My tang in question is currently in a 30, but i have a 120 in the works. Thought I'd throw that out there before someone incorrectly pieces it together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Unicorn gets 18" long. You need around a 500-1000 gallon for him.

They are veg eaters. Nori, flakes etc.

Tang police. Ya baby!

I am well aware how big they get. I'm also aware there are people out there with huge tanks who will take it off my hands when the time comes. He's not a "forever fish"

Canadianeh

I am well aware how big they get. I'm also aware there are people out there with huge tanks who will take it off my hands when the time comes. He's not a "forever fish"

This is what I was thinking too. When it gets too big I plan to sell it :)

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I'm always a little confused when people buy temporary fish. I can understand a little if the fish was meant say for a 120 and u put it in a 75. But wow.... even a small fish meant for a huge tank put in a 30 gallon. Thats like taking a great Dane and keeping him in a bachelor apartment and say u will get rid of him when the time comes.just my opinion.

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
I'm always a little confused when people buy temporary fish. I can understand a little if the fish was meant say for a 120 and u put it in a 75. But wow.... even a small fish meant for a huge tank put in a 30 gallon. Thats like taking a great Dane and keeping him in a bachelor apartment and say u will get rid of him when the time comes.just my opinion.

The tang will be going in the 120 (which will be prob a couple months due to recent unexpected expenses). If he happens to grow too big for it, he'll be rehomed to a bigger tank. Btw, great danes actually don't require a lot of room

Canadianeh

I guess we really want to have a small tang with clowns. You are right. Maybe it is not fair for the fish.

dale

great danes are great apartment dogs but large tangs are not great small tank fish.. a tank upgrade in the near future is fine,, temp fish is a little sketchy.. i just invested almost 3grand in making my tank bigger for my growing fish, i dont really consider this hobby a wishy-washy endeavor.. be prepared for whats to come... dogs and fish are for life not just for trends...
and yes, nori and i believe nls has a growth formula with extra protein and fat...

dale

but your right , not everybody practices that kind of stuff,, it makes it very difficult to have those kind of fish without spending a fortune.. and many are grateful to get a larger fish at a decent price..

thehvacman

Buying a tang is a great excuse to build that monster tank that we all want. You get attached to the fish and they are hard to part with. My tangs are the reason why there is an 8' foot tank in my basement. The thing I hate is that these fish are some of the cheapest fish you buy! Clown tangs are always $30! So I'm sure many people buy them on price alone, without even knowing that the fish is going to grow to 18".