1/4" Mdf

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Anyone know if it is possible to buy sheets of 1/4" MDF larger than 48"x48"? Want to skin a stand that will be longer than 48", and would prefer not to have any seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Not that I know of. I wouldn't be using mdf anywhere near water though. Little water and it will swell up. Prefer ply
It is actually very resilient once painted with tremclad. I would use ply, but the stand is for heather, and she wants it to match the other stand she got from me which is skinned in mdf. Also, the ply that i used for my current stand is actually subfloor (zero knots and reasonably priced), and it too only comes 48"x48" :(

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Cool... Seal it up good and you are golden ;)

heath

Distinguished Member
It is actually very resilient once painted with tremclad. I would use ply, but the stand is for heather, and she wants it to match the other stand she got from me which is skinned in mdf. Also, the ply that i used for my current stand is actually subfloor (zero knots and reasonably priced), and it too only comes 48"x48" :(

I always thought that plywood came 4' x 8' sheets, see why I am not a carpenter...

RWH

Home Depot or Rona would probably not carry anything larger, but if there is an independent lumber yard near you give them
a call. They might be able to order in 4 x 8 sheets ?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
yes it usually does.... but i can not recall every seeing 1/4" mdf that big....

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
4'x8' is the biggest you will get.... home depot should have it but mostly anything 1/4" is only for cabinets so they dont usually carry bigger since its useless for most things. any lumber yard should have som or be able to order it

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
Thanks everyone. I should be able to get away with using 48"x48". Stand will be just shy of 48.5" long, so corner trim will take care of the 1/4" gap on each end. Might even get lucky and sheets will be factory cut on the large side :)