125 gallon build

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Salty1

I would not move any coral or fish over until your new tank cycles. With saltwater I recommend a minimum of 1-month (longer if you can) depending on your water testing. Never go fast in this hobby. Using tap water has already created one issue with your new set-up. Your rock & sand will cycle.

Just my 2-cents

R

reeffreak

Salty1 link said:
I would not move any coral or fish over until your new tank cycles. With saltwater I recommend a minimum of 1-month (longer if you can) depending on your water testing. Never go fast in this hobby. Using tap water has already created one issue with your new set-up. Your rock & sand will cycle.

Just my 2-cents

I most definetly agree ...

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Ya I had planned on waiting as long as I can. Thanks for your help. I have nothing but time cuz I already have a gorgeous 55 dt to admire. Just can't wait to see all the stuff in a bigger tank

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Well I got impatient and did some tests. The water in the 135 was almost exact as the 55. So I jumped the gun and did the tear down if the 55. Scaped the rock perfectly. Added corals and fish. Everyone seems ok so far. Eating swimming not very stressed. Tomorrow I'm going to drain the 55. Put the water aside in buckets. CleAn out the sand, dry the tank and insert the baffles. let it dry and add the water back in to the 55 and turn on the pump. For now I'm going to use the 500 gph just to slowly mix the water then after some time going to plumb the new return and figure out this bigger pump. Only concern I have is I had to mix up my sand in my 55 in order to catch my wrasse. The water is extremely cloudy now. Do you think this water is no longer good as toxic Chems might have been mixed into the water now? Should I discard this water and start with fresh. Only concern is this water is 9 months established. I'd hate to toss it.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To keep things simple and reduce any complications, I would dump your old water and put in some fresh stuff!

The key is to preserve the biological filtration capability of your rock and sand.

As long as your new water is mixed, you should be good to go...

Krazykarl

Super Active Member
Just an update since last post. The 55 is now down and turned into a sump. The 135 is up and running! Didn't lose a single thing! Everyone I happy. Today I made the plumbing for the new return pump. Currently drying and soon to be hooked up! Can't wait.... Pictures very soon to come...

Status
Not open for further replies.