150g Frag system Build

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Going to start a frag tank :)

getting everything sorted out before i start it...

i have a tank lined up
a 45 gallon (48x18Wx 10H)

going to get the tank drilled in the bottom corner, probally have to build an overflow myself as well...

i got a line on a bunch of equipment from a friend:

going to use a 20 gallon sump, with 1" drain and probally 3/4" return... (same as jerry)
I also want to hook up another tank, 15-25 gallons to the same sump, as a holding tank/ hospital tank, with a valve that i can turn off in case i need to medicate sick or newly aquired fish

im going to use 3 - 24" dual 65W pc fixtures for lighting...
and probably build my own stand if i cannot find one online.

I will try to take pictures of each step I take and post them.
any advice is appreciated

Royal Aquariums

Inactive Since Crash
INACTIVE
Website
www.royalaquariums.ca
Re: Frag tank w sump

Sounds exciting, a DIY 2x4 stand can turn out very nice and is easy on the wallet. Here is an example of what I did for my frag tank, simple 2x4 stand, covered with pine wainscoting and pine trim. After I was done I stained it with a clear stain, It was pretty simple to do. You can get the cottage grade wainscoting that is very cheap, like 8 bucks for a bundle. Here is a picture of mine, and an example of what the wainscoting would generally be used for.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

Wow that's a pretty good DIY stand 8)
I plan on doing that if I cAnt find a cheap metal one
If anyone has a 48x 18 let md know

O

OceanCrawler

hey man if u dont mind me asking were did u find a tank with those dimension ive been looking every were for a rimless /rimless shallow tank??

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Frag tank w sump

Kitchener Waterloo Aquarium Society: metal stand 48Lx18Wx28H (by thunder_chunky)
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=151015
I have a metal stand 48Lx18Wx28H in good condition $40 obo

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

Hey jerry I've decided to make a nice custom one witha friend
Of mine,.. I will be posting pictures of course....

The tank was just a random pic up.... No more where it came from
Sry bout that

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

Here are some pics... the stand is completely structurally... might finish it off like Royal Aquariums stand but not sure yet...

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

Here is a pic of the lights and of the new R/O filter i got in...
im going to be hooking up the R/O today, I picked up a 50gallon drum the other day which will go in the corner or the room by the frag tank for the pure ro water...

sry bout bad quality of the photos

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

update... got the tank in... got the sump in... started on the plumbing....

the 30gallon tank is going to be tied into the system as well, but with the option to shut it off when i need to medicate or quaritine new fish... :)

the 50gallon barrel i was so excited about, sprung a leak, and left a couple gallons of ro water on my floor... so the de-humidifier is doing is daily job :)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member

Brandon:

Looks like it will be a nice setup when it is all finished.  Are you moving the 30 gal over onto the same stand to sit beside the frag tank?Can't wait to see pics of it in action  :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

yea the orginaly design was for a 20gallon i had, already drilled withoverflow.... with a base of 12x 24... but i accidently cracked it tightening a bulk head  :?

so i have this 30 gallon, luckily with the same base, 12x24... and im going to take it today to get it drilled hopefully...

yes it will sit on that little L on the stand... the L is 18" front to back, so it leaves me with 6" of work space, and infront of the frag tank is 12" more of work space for fragging etc.... ill take lots of pictures as i progress and they should explain it alot better than me :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Frag tank w sump

I like I idea of having the 2 tanks on that same stand. Looks like you are going to have a nice setup once your done.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

thanks jerry... i think im going to have an issue getting it drilled... i just took it to a glass shop and they told me it was impossible to do...  :eek:

which i know is bullsh*t... but still...

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Frag tank w sump

Contact Blob, he lives in tilsonburg and I think has drilled a few tanks. Did the glass shop say if it was tempered or not? As that is the only reason I can see it being impossible unless it's the location they are referring too

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger

if its tempered you wont be able to drill it,usually only the bottom but i have see all sides tempered before,if only the bottom is tempered you can drill the back or a side

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

started filling it tonight... gonna run a leak test as soon as its full... fingers crossed lol