24g nano cube LeD light mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleko

Tey yall im new to fish and i have a 24g nano cube. The lgiht on it produces alot of heat and is cuase my tank to go unstable and such. Im wondering is there any mods or things to replace the regular lights with leD's. If any of you know any good ones or kits for it let me know it would be great as the high heat is becoming a big problem. plus LeD's are nicer and have a longer life span.
Thanks Alot,
Mason

F

Fraggle Rock

nanotuners.com
rapidled.com

I'm sure theres a few more but those are just off the top of my head

Kleko

Realy? I talked to a few people and they said those lights arent that good.
thanks, maby I will try it

P

phi delt reefer

nanotuners retrofit kits will be the cleanest install (will look OEM). Other units will probably require that you remove the lid of the nano cube. .

The Marineland Reef Units are higher powered LEDs (they have a similar LED product that is just made for illumination and not corals that are not sufficient for reefs). With that said - they are expensive for  they are -an LFS that is not a sponser here is hosting a ReefBrite Group buy which is a much more powerful LED setup that is passively cooled so its quiet as well. PM if you are interested - I dont know the link rules for this forum so i wont interfere with potential sponsor agreements in an open forum.

Blob-79

Super Active Member
Pretty sure we are sponserless. post what you want. Are you talking about Oakville reef gallery?

P

phi delt reefer

yep - Oakville Reef Gallery. The thread is on Aquarium Pros.

I wanted to get a bar for actinic supplimentation but they are too powerful. I am going to grab some stunner strips instead.

S

shayneh

I would urge you still look at designing a hybrid lighting system using T5 and LED's.

LED lights (IMO) don't quite provide the proper spectrum required yet. I was running the nanotuners 5.6 90w (30 x 3w) of cree LED over my biocube 29 and the coloration of my corals over time didn't have the pop you get with T5 or mh. Growth slowed to almost zero which was good for a biocube that fills up quickly but not so good for a larger tank. 

P

patrizio_g

Hi,
You can do use just led but it will cost you a bit, the amount of led will depend on the area
You need to cover, separate then from each other by 2" and one row from the next by 3"
Also at the second row use one led les for example:
4 of 3w led on the first row
Then 3 of 3w led for the second row
And 4 of 3w for the 4th row and so on if you use more rows

This way the colors will blend better.

You can get some led on rapidled or ledsupply don't use Chinese led
They are not as powerful, use 3 watt  cree led.

How tall is your tank?  If it's 12" use 60 deg optic if it is 24" tall
Then use 40 deg optic, use heat sink and a fan it can get hot.

Cheers
Pat. 

Status
Not open for further replies.