50g Sumpless Tall Mixed Reef and 60g Full Mixed System

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Figured I'd post an update here and start my own thread.

Stocking for fish is done, coral is pretty much done, occasionally topping off the CUC with Nassarius snails but only after I notice hermits walking around in "new" shells (unrepentant little buggers).

Now it's just keeping things coasting (bought a second ALK test kit to start tracking how much is being used per day), and trying to ensure that I can frag/propagate to get the look I want and maybe make a little money back sharing. Looking for yellow stony coral as I have a lot of green and pink, but we shall see.
IMG_20210307_131811_87_2.jpg

IMG_20210307_181843_04.jpg

Last edited:

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
@TORX I had intended to find small salt water proof magnets to hang them in place, but that didn't work out (couldn't find them, and I'm not buying pumps just to poach their magnets), so I grabbed a couple heater clamps and stuck them through small pieces of egg crate that I had laying around from when I started the tank (an idea I got from someone after I sold them some macro to start their macro pico). I do have some caulerpa ligulate on the substrate (a mistake imo since now when I want to move a strand, 1/10th of the tank's substrate comes with it) as well as some red bush pieces stuck into the rockwork.

You can barely see the right edge of one piece of 'crate in the middle top of the tank where I have chaeto and red bush growing. It looks a little ugly after a trim since it's white egg crate, but once it fills in you can barely tell. I've been a little lucky in that not only do they keep the macro out of the pumps and away from the coral, but some of them actually spin in place, which gives a nice uniform color to the red ogo/dragon breath that I didn't have when they were just "hooked" into the heater clamps. (Honestly I'm a little confused about the red algae names, since they were sold as "A" but I keep seeing them identified as both "A" and "B")

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
PXL_20210423_014747158.NIGHT_2.jpg

Update with Polyplab filter

Accidently started to starve some of my coral, too much nutrient uptake (2 nitrate 0.00 phosphate on Hanna). Did a rapid water change and culled a bunch of caulerpa. The anemone split a week ago, over a span of < 12 hours, that was surprising.

The Red Planet from teebone110 has finally acclimated and started growing purple, blue staghorn are doing well apart from one being hugged by the new 'nem.
Picked up a frag of Goldenrod from Copperkills, it's doing well, will probably end up moving it away from the gorgonian and digi.
Grabbed and quickly lost 2 of 4 heads of rasta torch to brown jelly but the two that remain are doing well.
The elegance is getting CHONK-EH. I don't think I would want to risk cutting it if it starts getting too big.
Mounted a number of frag on rock on plastic cased neodymium magnets. Wish I had ordered more, insanely useful but customs/taxes were a *****

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Time to do some sketchy shit, do dah, do dah, looks like I'll get away with it...

13G DIY Macro/rock aging "frag tank" and my live food station with one batch of baby brine and two batches of live phyto cooking.

PXL_20211014_211157862.jpg

PXL_20211014_205454785.LS_exported_2571.jpg

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Update, pictures taken today.

PXL_20211120_020220618.jpg
The live food station is doing well, I'm making more phyto than I need so I must be doing something right, and the coral go "all out" with their polyps as soon as it spreads in the water. Baby brine shrimp hatchings go well, the fish have an immediate and enthusiastic response, the coral less so but if I mix in a little Reef Roids or oyster eggs they gobble it all up.
PXL_20211120_020157017.jpg
The "frag" tank is currently growing out some of my red macro algae, the light is too strong for the prolifera which is why it looks like crap. I want to add animals to it to help keep it clean but the evaporation rate is too high and I don't have the $$$ for an ATO/Osmolator for it yet. The 'curtissae macro algae has never looked better, since it's getting the high flow it needs to keep from developing green/bubble algae on it. And yes, that is a giant-ass Hydor pump, haha
PXL_20211120_020250289.jpg
My main reef is doing well, I'd like to frag some BEBB and Blueberry Field (Thank you TORX) as well as my "Hulk" Leptastrea and a couple of my "irregular" ricordia mushrooms for credit towards orange and blue ricordias at Sustainable Marine. I am INCREDIBLY happy with the frags of Orange Passion and Kandlelight that I was able to buy off Painter Steve, they are both doing well, as is the "mystery" purple acro. My GSP is still mostly pink/brown instead of GREEN, although the long tentacle GSP has actually grown completely around the rock I placed it on, so it must be happy if not colorful. Most LPS are doing well, my dragon soul Favia is slow as hell to grow but it is beautiful, and I love that I now have a little euphilia garden with a Dragon Soul front and center. and my purple/green splatter hammer and frogspawn bookending the tank have several new heads. The breeder box in the upper left has anemones that have split and I am trying to sell. All in all, loving the tank life.

I also have a 33 gallon and stand that I picked up from a friend that I want to drill and create a custom sump for, so that will keep me busy for a bit. The only problem I have is that there is going to be pesticides sprayed in my building next week, and I'm a little paranoid about it causing a tank crash or worse, so I'll be spending my free time Monday making hoods for all the tanks.

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Rusty Gorgonian (photosynthetic) frag for sale
PXL_20211204_022610665.NIGHT.jpg

Assuming I didn't accidentally damage them and that the other heads open over the weekend, currently 2 frags of BEBB zoas, 3 heads each (with buds for 4th)
PXL_20211204_022621511.NIGHT.jpg

Anyone interested in phytoplankton? I'm finally producing an excess. I can't speak for the quality apart from my coral seem to like it. I bought the culture from another reefer through Big Al's Kitchener. Smells good, tastes fine (I got curious), and I imagine it will act as a good starter if you want to make your own. I use Aquarium Co-op Easy Green instead of Miracle Gro though.
PXL_20211204_040504135.jpg
PXL_20211204_040456499.jpg

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
SCREW IT! GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Actually, I discovered some pretty substantial deterioration on the stand that I had planned to use, so $80 dollars and two Kijiji trips later I have a 36x18 metal 65 gallon (open frame) stand and a 36x18x18 50 gallon rimless aquarium.

Question to you all is: I've read conflicting information about whether to support the bottom of the aquarium resting on the stand with the usual yogamat/spongy material or a full sheet of plywood across the bottom of the tank with the foam overtop. The 50 gallon question is, on your systems of greater or similar size, do you use HDO, MDO, or hardwood plywood, and at what thickness?

I'm thinking 3/4" Red Oak plywood?

PXL_20220106_014748670.jpg

Last edited:

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
Passed the wet test (did not expect that much power from the return pump, turned it WAAAAAY down)
Got the rockwork in, pretty happy with having a 36"x18" surface to play with. Going to get everything running (lights, electrical, plumbing, water) by the end of the week.

PXL_20220124_021348469.jpg
PXL_20220124_021401725.jpg

Sasha T

Website
www.instagram.com
PXL_20220127_023110745.jpg

Almost done, just need to hook up my lights and get everything plugged in.

I ran a fairly strong neodymium magnet through my bag of "Carib Sea Geo Marine" substrate, and picked out a fair bit of ferrous material (dime for scale)