80 Gallon (48x24x16) Mixed Reef Build

calli

Past the cycle and in about 2 months in.

Went through a couple different ideas for a tank build until I came across this beauty!! I was sold.

SO, it begins. I have a homemade stand and run the sump from the room behind the tank. (VERY ADVISABLE) this makes water changes and maintenance a breeze!!

Stand.JPG

Scape 1.jpg
Scape 2.JPG

Sump1.jpg

Sump 2.jpg

Water full 1.jpg

So far I have added (and in this order), Various Snails (Trochus, Narcissus), 2x White Legged Hermits, 2x Clowns, 1x Cleaner Shrimp, 1x Watchman Goby w/ Pistol Shrimp, Lawnmower Blenny, 2x Peppermint Shrimp.

Coral: Duncan, Dendro, Ricordea Yuma, Green Mushroom, Various Zoas, Frogspawn, Purple Hammer, Tonga Torch, Pocillopora, Dragon Soul Favia, Garf Bonsai (Broken tip, free add and just to see what happens).

I am currently running Carbon and Phosban in TLF reactors. The only issue I have really had is keeping phosphates down, however, have dialed back the feeding and seem to be coming down and in control. I have been feeding Reef-Roids, and various frozen foods.

Next steps are to add some more Favia (couple different colours) and a Challice or two.

Fish List: (Not set in stone, suggestions VERY welcome)

Next...
Firefish
Foxface
6 Line
Flame Angel
Flame Hawkfish
____ ? (suggestions)
____ ? (suggestions)
Yellow Tang
Mandarin (well after established and copepods are plentiful)

Gill

What tank is this. I was looking at a aquarium master 48x24x16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrHermit85

Your tank looks really sharp!!! I love the dimensions and the fact that it has a big footprint but the tank is not deep... I think I may just have to get one and your rockscape is awesome too. Please dont judge me if I copy you.

What about an anthias? Add a bit of orange in the mix...

Last edited:

monizb

Super Active Member
Kitchener bigs all’s had a big variety of fish and lots of frags great guys to deal with as well pick up my leopard wrasse today Xenia , rastas zoa frag and blue Clove polyp frag :)

calli

Your tank looks really sharp!!! I love the dimensions and the fact that it has a big footprint but the tank is not deep... I think I may just have to get one and your rockscape is awesome too. Please dont judge me if I copy you.

What about an anthias? Add a bit of orange in the mix...

Yes, I think I will be looking at a royal and anthias. Copy away. Can’t wait to see it!!

calli

Kitchener bigs all’s had a big variety of fish and lots of frags great guys to deal with as well pick up my leopard wrasse today Xenia , rastas zoa frag and blue Clove polyp frag :)

I’ve been meaning to get down there. How is the Hamilton store? I haven’t been there in years.

Greezzy

Great job on the plumbing and manifold. Were you able to get schedule 80 ball valves and unions local? In the process of doing mine.

Also digging the aquascape.

calli

Great job on the plumbing and manifold. Were you able to get schedule 80 ball valves and unions local? In the process of doing mine.

Also digging the aquascape.

Thank you,

Yes. The ball valves were from Elgin water supply (Dan) and the pvc and unions from home hardware.