90g Overflow Question.

Benji

I just bought a 90 gallon without an overflow on it. Just a drain out of the back of the tank. I want to add an external overflow to the back. Would you guys scrape off the black paint so the glass on the overflow can seal with the glass on the tank? Or will the silicone be fine with the black paint? I'm leading towards scraping it off just to be safe but I wanted to check with the experts. Lol.
Thanks guys and gals.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

shamous113

the paint doesn't adhere very well and if you don't take it off you are asking for trouble. I scraped off the paint using a brass wire wheel then a razor blade and then a green scotch-brite pad (it was pretty thick), followed by rubbing alcohol or acetone.

Benji

Perfect. I thought I'd just make sure. You guys are the best.
Thanks again.

Benji

Ive been doing some reading and I'm worried about the one single hole in the tank not being big enough. Sounds like some people have 2 or 3 holes going to their overflow... this one hole fits a 1.5" bulkhead. Will it be sufficient when I have 2 or 3 drains coming out of the overflow? Planning on doing 1" bulkheads out of the overflow to the sump. Ill be putting ball valves in to control the flow but will it manage that way? I don't really want to drill this tank to put a second hole in.

shamous113

I have 2 holes 2 3/8"dia in mine and Im pushing 1200 - 1300gph thru them it handles the flow. I think if I was pushing any more flow that it could become a problem.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
you defintely want more than one hole in the tank for an external overflow.
in the days of pulp fiction (member on here) i know he cut a glass tank out for an external overflow. i should try and find the post.....

shamous113

The system came with a mag 12 return pump.

How much head height do you figure you'll have?

Attachments

• Mag drive rates.png
    Mag drive rates.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 74

Benji

I've checked out your build threads torx and that's what I'm looking at doing. I'm just a little nervous drilling as this tank is new to me... I guess I'll just have to man up and practice first.

Benji

I appreciate all the help everyone. I'm going to get a second hole drilled for sure.
Thanks everyone.