Achillies Tang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IrishPride

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with an Achillies Tang.
I've wanted one for a long time but have heard they are difficult to keep.

Thought?

spyd

Super Active Member
They are not overly difficult to keep. They do require a large tank with a lot of flow! They are also very aggresive as far a tangs go so it should be the last fish you add in your tank.

Kleko

I have no experiance, but I have wanted an Achilles as well. Beautiful fish
That is all...  ::)

I

IrishPride

Good to hear about the diet...

What kind of fish did you have with him chuck?  Did you have any other tangs when you had him?

chuckm

Still have him, 7-8" long tip to tail, fat as hell. Awesome colour. Pretty good temperament.  Fowleri Tang rules the show.  He's in there with a Fowler's tang, Purple tang, and tomini tang.  Also a large Male Watanabe angel and large Regal Angel.  With all those large fish in there I also have a bi-color cleaner wrasse. He cleans them up from any ich, once in a while.  Next month I will have had my purple tang for 19 yrs....old man! 

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
wow lol :)

I saw Bigshows Achilles tang this afternoon.  Makes me want one :)

I

IrishPride

Nice!!
Thanks for the input Chuck.  Such an incredible fish...I want one!

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
chuckm link said:
Still have him, 7-8\" long tip to tail, fat as hell. Awesome colour. Pretty good temperament.  Fowleri Tang rules the show.  He's in there with a Fowler's tang, Purple tang, and tomini tang.  Also a large Male Watanabe angel and large Regal Angel.  With all those large fish in there I also have a bi-color cleaner wrasse. He cleans them up from any ich, once in a while.  Next month I will have had my purple tang for 19 yrs....old man!
19yrs....holy crap ....how long have you been in the hobby Chuck.  Thats incredible..i wouldnt even think a fish would live that long.  Bravo.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=chuckm link=topic=4245.msg39262#msg39262 date=1360103555]
Still have him, 7-8\" long tip to tail, fat as hell. Awesome colour. Pretty good temperament.  Fowleri Tang rules the show.  He's in there with a Fowler's tang, Purple tang, and tomini tang.  Also a large Male Watanabe angel and large Regal Angel.  With all those large fish in there I also have a bi-color cleaner wrasse. He cleans them up from any ich, once in a while.  Next month I will have had my purple tang for 19 yrs....old man!
19yrs....holy crap ....how long have you been in the hobby Chuck.  Thats incredible..i wouldnt even think a fish would live that long.  Bravo.
[/quote]

That is rediculous, what is that in human years?  Anyone know the fish to human years conversion?  Dog is what, 7 years to 1?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
chuckm link said:

Congrats! That's along time to keep a fish in captivity.
I remember when you were featured in the Windsor Star over 15 years ago, there was a picture of you with your reef tank in the background. If I recall, there was a purple tang swimming in your tank. That is probably the same one 8)

chuckm

That is the same fish that was in the news paper article Tyler, in 1997....I got him March 1994 from ALS aquarium in Windsor.  Paid a King's Ransom back then for a purple tang.  Good thing the U.S. army had air force bases in Saudi Arabia. ;)
Been in the hobby Daryl, since 1991, started with a 20gal. tank with a power filer and u.g. plates with crushed coral.  That purple tang still looks great, a little less ferocious than he used to be.  He's definetly the old man in the tank...not as good as he once was, but as good once as he ever was!

My only advice with an achilles is to let the store hold him if possible a few days to a week before you bring him home and move it again, seemed to do mine a world of good, Awesome fish though!

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
chuckm link said:
That is the same fish that was in the news paper article Tyler, in 1997....I got him March 1994 from ALS aquarium in Windsor.  Paid a King's Ransom back then for a purple tang.  Good thing the U.S. army had air force bases in Saudi Arabia. ;)
Been in the hobby Daryl, since 1991, started with a 20gal. tank with a power filer and u.g. plates with crushed coral.  That purple tang still looks great, a little less ferocious than he used to be.  He's definetly the old man in the tank...not as good as he once was, but as good once as he ever was!

My only advice with an achilles is to let the store hold him if possible a few days to a week before you bring him home and move it again, seemed to do mine a world of good, Awesome fish though!

That's awesome! I remember ALS, I used to just go in there to hang out because I couldnt afford anything decent back then, let alone a purple tang. If I recall, they used to go for $200 bucks :eek:

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Not sure, but I have still seen them places around the $200 mark on occasion.

I

IrishPride

Thats incredible Chuck!

Can't wait to get one.

Usually see the purple tangs around the $100 mark lately....IA, Carls etc.  Saw one on Kijiji recently for $80....

Status
Not open for further replies.