Adding Magnesium

Status
Not open for further replies.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I know most with sps dominant tanks are dosing CA and ALK, but am curious how everyone maintains their mag levels? Do you dose a certain amount every month, week, or when its low? What is your target range?

I'm down to 1200 at the moment and want to make things easier, maybe add a it weekly with my doser.

Anyone?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I aim for 3 times maybe 3.5 times my calcium.  Test for it once every three weeks ish

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I test once a month and adjust if needed.  Usually I only add mg once every 3 month.......it usually drops about 100ppm in 3 months.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I find if I add a bit into each makeup water, and match the jug of calcium for use, I can keep it around 1350.  I suppose a third doser would be ideal, but meh, it works.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks guys, since I have an extra doser available, I need to figure out how much to add on a daily basis.

My best guess would be to figure out my consumption over a month (or 3 months) then use the BRS calculator to estimate how much needs to be dosed over this period to maintain levels.

It is my understanding that the mag level in IO is consistent with natural sea water, so it should be around 1250? I've never measured a fresh batch, probably wouldn't hurt.

With my water changes and coral consumption, it went from 1400 on Oct 30 to 1200 on Dec 10.
If my tests are accurate, that would be 200 over 6 weeks. To be safe, I am going to divide this in half and see how things go with very small doses

spyd

Super Active Member
It takes a lot to go up with magnesium I find. I can't seem to get my Mag levels past 1200. I run a 3rd dosing pump but I only run it a few days per week. I am just scared of putting in too much sulphates into the tank.

C

crazybizzle

If u have a calcium reactor add some neo mag to it heard that helps really good

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Thanks guys, since I have an extra doser available, I need to figure out how much to add on a daily basis.

My best guess would be to figure out my consumption over a month (or 3 months) then use the BRS calculator to estimate how much needs to be dosed over this period to maintain levels.

It is my understanding that the mag level in IO is consistent with natural sea water, so it should be around 1250? I've never measured a fresh batch, probably wouldn't hurt.

With my water changes and coral consumption, it went from 1400 on Oct 30 to 1200 on Dec 10.
If my tests are accurate, that would be 200 over 6 weeks. To be safe, I am going to divide this in half and see how things go with very small doses
If your sing IO just doing water changes will bring down mg from 1400. 

Status
Not open for further replies.