Adding More Live Rock To Your Tank When You Don't Have Another Tank To Hold It In

Janice

Hi again. Sorry for so many questions. When we first set up our tank Big Als had limited live rock available, such that we could only buy 20 lbs ( for a 32 gallon tank). I have been waiting until they got more nice live rock-which they finally did this week. I would like to add another 10 lbs. The problem is that now I have some frags glued to the rocks and the anemones have settled. The bigger problem is that I don't have a holding tank. Other than to buy a holding tank to keep new live rock in for 2 weeks does anyone have any other suggestions? I understand I cannot just put it into what is now a functioning reef aquarium without upsetting everything.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Hi again. Sorry for so many questions. When we first set up our tank Big Als had limited live rock available, such that we could only buy 20 lbs ( for a 32 gallon tank). I have been waiting until they got more nice live rock-which they finally did this week. I would like to add another 10 lbs. The problem is that now I have some frags glued to the rocks and the anemones have settled. The bigger problem is that I don't have a holding tank. Other than to buy a holding tank to keep new live rock in for 2 weeks does anyone have any other suggestions? I understand I cannot just put it into what is now a functioning reef aquarium without upsetting everything.
Unfortunately you have put a nem in way to early as mentioned before... they are suppose to be added in a more mature tank. Your tank is very young susceptible to up and down swings. Now adding more live rock and there are more advanced hobbyists who I hope weigh in. You need to be careful you might set your tank into another cycle by adding more live rock.

Janice

that is what I am concerned about-and therefore asking the question. It I cannot put ore live rock in in a manner that will not upset everything I won't.

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
In such a young tank and being the size you're dealing with.

I would only recommend adding a few lbs at a time right now. Waiting at least a couple of weeks in between each addition.

Or you can allow your system to mature for another month or so and add about 5lbs then wait a couple of weeks and add the other 5 lbs.

You're going to see a spike in nutrients because the size and age of the system. So be ready for testing your water and more frequent WC's

Sony Xperia Z3

dale

ya, i agree, i would get 1 rock you like put it in the tank where you can see if any unwanteds are on it , then next month , do it again till you are satisfied... im assuming you dont have a sump... dry rock in the sump for a few months is my preference...

Janice

No sump. But I read online that you could cure the live rock in a bucket with a heater for 2 weeks and that should be sufficient?

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
No sump. But I read online that you could cure the live rock in a bucket with a heater for 2 weeks and that should be sufficient?
This is true but you guys are moving a little fast with your tank... I'd slow it down abit. I'd want to take some of the advice given and put a little in at a time.. I'd still cure it in the pail.. but I'd still be careful :)

ThePaliga

As Nathan said, give it time. The best and worst thing about this hobby is the waiting. Trust me, we all went through it. If you wait it out and allow your tank to mature a little bit (couple months even) then your parameters won't swing as much. With that being said, if you feel you need to get more rock in there ASAP, the bucket method does work. Bucket with a powerhead and heater, and basically leave it alone for 2-3 weeks and you should be alright. Don't forget to take into account evaporation that occurs in the bucket as well.

nevek67

Walmart, Pick up a $10 square tote with a lid, If you have another heater and power head great, if not I have extra I could maybe lend you. Keep the live rock in saltwater in the tote(bucket) and follow as all the above said. Its not going to go bad in the tote just make sure you top the water off every once and awhile and keep it circulating. the lid it just to keep the dog or cat out and slow evaporation.

when I got this tank it came with a lot of liverock but I wanted more, and it was already established. I introduced it over 4 months I think about 40 lbs. there was still a small spike and some hair algae but I think that was because I stirred the substrate up moving things around. Hope this helps

Kman

Super Active Member
No need to stress about asking question. Plastic Rubbermaid bins are handy in this situation and a heater and air stone or power head works great. New live rock has lots of dead and decaying organic tissue that will cause a huge spike in your nutrient levels. I would use the bin to cure the rock. The bin also allows you to remove any possible pests before they get into the DT.