Adding pods to new system

Kelesco

I just got my new system up and running. I don't have any inhabitants. Is there any reason I should not add some Reef Nutrition Tiger Pods and Apex Pods? Thought getting a head start on a pod population might be a good idea. Should I add some phytoplankton as well? Also does anyone know where to get live Mysis?

Mechano

Yes definitely is a good plan. Yes feed the pods with phyto for sure.

As for mysis shrimp , they are freshwater species anyways so wouldn’t worry about that.

If you can, source yourself with an aged piece of liverock from an established system if your are using base rock as it helps with building diversity

It also wouldn’t hurt to know what stage you are at with your set up. (Days? Weeks ? Months?)

Cheers

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Yes seed pods and add phyto daily, to really boost population use isocrysis plankton its the brown and gives you way more pods. I have both tisbe and tigger pods seeded in my tank before mandarin and now a culture of each and phyto.

barksy

If you can setup a refugium, you will have an unlimited supply of pods as long as you feed it. I have a small refugium in my 33 gallon AIO and so far it feeds my Mandarin very well without any additional pods. I have had the tank 6 months and the Mandarin for 2 months but it is an adult size. It was very skinny when I got it from the LFS and now it is nice and fat.