Advice To Move This Beast!

Nighthawk26

Hi.

I'm new to all of this in practice, but I've been researching for almost a year now, and found this forum a few months ago. I had a SW system about 15 years ago but was a random purchase, and like many who've done that, was done all wrong. I'm the type of person where if I'm going to do something I'm going to do it right, so this time around that's what I've attempted to do. That said, after all the planning, and reading, and the apologies to the GF for lack of attention given to her, my stand and tanks finally arrived today. Every detail for the most part was considered until this dawned on me.

Ideas would be fantastic.

Tank is 72x30x24 3 Side Starfire 5/8", 4" Top EB, 1.5" bottom EB and Overflow is Glass, not Acrylic.

Gotta get this thing from where you see it in one pic, to where you see the stand.

ft4.jpg
ft1.jpg
ft2.jpg
ft3.jpg

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
That is a sexy looking tank for sure. Looks like you are on the right path so far. What kind of corals and fish are you looking to keep, what equipment do you have or looking to obtain?

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I just moved that same tank down stairs. With a turn at the bottom!

It took 4 of us. That will weigh somewhere around 500-600 lbs.

I hired movers but they only sent 2 guys so I needed to help and needed the neighbours son.

I would highly recommend you hire movers for that. Or get 6 buddies. Movers will cost a lot less long term lol.

heath

Distinguished Member
Hi.

I'm new to all of this in practice, but I've been researching for almost a year now, and found this forum a few months ago. I had a SW system about 15 years ago but was a random purchase, and like many who've done that, was done all wrong. I'm the type of person where if I'm going to do something I'm going to do it right, so this time around that's what I've attempted to do. That said, after all the planning, and reading, and the apologies to the GF for lack of attention given to her, my stand and tanks finally arrived today. Every detail for the most part was considered until this dawned on me.

Ideas would be fantastic.

Tank is 72x30x24 3 Side Starfire 5/8", 4" Top EB, 1.5" bottom EB and Overflow is Glass, not Acrylic.

Gotta get this thing from where you see it in one pic, to where you see the stand.

View attachment 4017 View attachment 4016 View attachment 4018 View attachment 4019
wow what a beautiful tank, if you are going use friends to help don't let them touch the shelving unit on the right of pic #2 until the tank is in place, lol...

Nighthawk26

Get two more people than you think you need and the job will be easy...assuming no narrow stairs or tight corners....

The doorway from Either Garage or main door into house is what I'm not sure on. No way 2 bodies squeeze through same time. Then up about 5 steps. "clear sailing" from there till we reach the stand.

Nighthawk26

wow what a beautiful tank, if you are going use friends to help don't let them touch the shelving unit on the right of pic #2 until the tank is in place, lol...
Hahaha.. that's the enticement reward! :) Where the tank is was where that bar was. It's being relocated to the basement. :)

Nighthawk26

I just moved that same tank down stairs. With a turn at the bottom!

It took 4 of us. That will weigh somewhere around 500-600 lbs.

I hired movers but they only sent 2 guys so I needed to help and needed the neighbours son.

I would highly recommend you hire movers for that. Or get 6 buddies. Movers will cost a lot less long term lol.

I hear you on that. I was figuring 4 guys, and an extra 2 to help support the lenghts a little but especially when getting up on stand. Can it be carried on it's side??

Nighthawk26

That is a sexy looking tank for sure. Looks like you are on the right path so far. What kind of corals and fish are you looking to keep, what equipment do you have or looking to obtain?

Thanks! Corals, I'm not so sure yet. I'll start with whats least likely to be killed by me in the early days. The rough fish plan is as follows

9 Green Cromis
5-7 Anthias (as long as they are pink. This was a negotiated deal breaker with the GF)
2 Clowns
Flame Angel
LeamonPeel Angel
2 Pygama Cardinal (another GF demand)
2 Blue Tang
1 Yellow Tang
Some sort of Goby

From there we want a couple others hopefully. Copperband Butterfly, Mandarin.

Considering some Wrasse options, as well as the odd other here and there. Starting with the 2 clowns, then Cromis and Anthias, then going from there.

Equipment wise I've got the following

Reeflo Barracuda return pump
4 Radions
2 MP40QD's
Apex System
DOS to run daily water change
Vertex Libra Doser
Lifereef 30" skimmer

Frag tank will have a Radion and an MP10.

Months and MONTHS of planning is finally leading to some results! :) Getting pretty pumped.

Nighthawk26

Damn, looks like you are doing it right :)

Thanks. A little overwhelmed at the moment. I'm drowning in drawings of final plumbing parts I think I need. Already been 3 trips to the supplier. I foresee many more. Hard to visualize all that's needed. And the wrong bulkheads were sent to me. I though I was getting slip fitting outside the tank and they are threaded. So I'm not sure if I get a threaded coupler or replace them with the other. My head is spinning a little. Not gonna lie.

heath

Distinguished Member
I hear what your saying on the plumbing, I made 3 drawings before I ordered anything, my theory is if you think need 6 of something get 10, never goes as planned..:D

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I'm going to give you some advice here. That tank is a whole lot easier to put flow in than you think. I'm using an iwaki 55 RLT as a return and I wonder if it might not be TOO MUCH flow lol. That barracuda is way way overpowered for what you want.

You are going to need at least 2 more radio station to cover that and probably 4 more

Get a gyre 150 and the 2 mp40s will beast mode your in tank flow

Move the tank on its side. Going up those stairs is going to be awful and you will definitely want huge guys to do that.

Plumbing - I used all hard pvc except for a few spots for pump connections.

I used 1" returns and 1 1/2" drains. Drains were bean animal in a rear external overflow.

My skimmer is a lifereef 36" external powered by another iwaki 55 RLT.

I'd replace the bulkheads with slip fittings. I trust that glue a whole lot more. You want threaded inside the tank.

What's with all the holes in eurobracing? For returns or sea swirls?

Who built that? Primo or miracles? I got mine done by concept aquariums in Calgary.

Those are insane dimensions and you will love it. I have some cooked rock here that I'm selling if you need any. I wouldn't recommend using actual live rock. The pests I had to deal with in my last tank when it started was a huge PITA.

Nighthawk26

Thanks Reef Keeper. I think for the most part we are on the same page.

First the pump. The sump is in the basement. So add typical vertical feet and now add about 50 more feet with a couple bends. On top of that it will be powering my dual BRS reactor, the frag tank, as well as move water back over to the fuge on the left (I have a middle section return. 1.5" dual drain and 1.5" return. I had my reasons, but I am set up for a Herbie Method drain system. We are without the reactor and frag tank and about 25% water being returned to the fuge at about 1900 GPH at the DT based on all calculations. We are thinking about 1200-1400 or so factoring those in. I will have 4 returns into the tank. Hence the holes in the EB. Each will be valved for full control. Basically 1.5" return runs up to top of overflow then T's 3/4" each way, then T's to each hole. In theory as of now we are pretty sure this, with the MP40's will get the flow we need. Especially at the front where often flow can be lacking. My Lifereef 30 for now will be powered with it's supplied MAG12. Talking to Jeff he said to start there. I agreed.

As for the plumbing, I have a finished theater in the basement with little access. I'll post pics if I can find some, but let me say it's a miracle I was able to do what I did do. Where we wanted the DT tank, is purely coincidental I had an open joist. So I had to run Tiger Flex. Basically could only run 3 lines which is why no Bean Animal and Herbie instead. I have a series Gate Valves and Ball valves to control and shut down whatever is needed under pretty much any scenario. They all have Unions, and where not, I have them to add. I'll post a pic of most of the plumbing pieces in this post. Missing are all the pipe lengths, and Gate valves and unions. Aside from that, once I get into the fish room, it will be plumbed with rigid pipe.

Derek at Miracles built all 3 tanks. He was frankly amazing to deal with.
fb5.jpg

reef keeper

Super Active Member
Basement sump - fair enough!

Your explanation makes sense. I'd be very cautious about flow over 1000 gph into the tank from the returns. I'm running around at and because of the depth I'm having the substrate move. And that's just the gyre lol. It's an insane dimension to aquascape. I just wish mine would finish CYCLING!!!

Nighthawk26

Basement sump - fair enough!

Your explanation makes sense. I'd be very cautious about flow over 1000 gph into the tank from the returns. I'm running around at and because of the depth I'm having the substrate move. And that's just the gyre lol. It's an insane dimension to aquascape. I just wish mine would finish CYCLING!!!

Yeah, I was reading some of your posts. I don't have kids yet. Have one due in December, but I felt like all I was basically hearing was "are we there yet, are we there yet"? I can only imagine the impatience.

I've literally planned for a 10 day vacation to help pass what hopefully is the back end of my cycling. I do have 150lbs so far of marco rock that has been curing for about 6 weeks now, and will for a couple more, and I have a few people offering me a few pest free pieces of LR to help seed the tank.

Any advice on sand?? Pretty much my last undecided purchase.