algae help :(

nyuu

i bought a new tank at the last frag fest and ever since ive got it ive had very bad algae. always the same type. my corals are doing fine but sometimes my polyps get covered up, also its al over the glass.

algae X worked a bit but if i stop using it it just comes right back within days.
I use a phosphate spung in my filter system but it does not help at all.

not sure what type it is, brownie green, some little bubbles also stringy but not as much as hair algae.

attached photo is not my tank but this is what it looks like

davesolo29

Super Active Member
you always think its dinos brandon....

looks like my hair algae did at the beginning stages.  air bubbles were trapped oxygen.  pretty soon it will be long and wavy if not taken care of.

Few questions.
1. what size tank?
2. skimmer?/no skimmer?  if so, what one?
3. Lights?  I see you have a pendant for sale,  what are you using now?  And what type of schedule?
4. RO/DI or tap water?

Lets get a few of these answered then maybe we can come up with something.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
davesolo29 link said:
you always think its dinos brandon....

looks like my hair algae did at the beginning stages.  air bubbles were trapped oxygen.  pretty soon it will be long and wavy if not taken care of.

Few questions.
1. what size tank?
2. skimmer?/no skimmer?  if so, what one?
3. Lights?  I see you have a pendant for sale,  what are you using now?  And what type of schedule?
4. RO/DI or tap water?

Lets get a few of these answered then maybe we can come up with something.

well i hate dinos, like a racist hate, even if its hair algea or macro algea or hell any kind of algae or bacteria i just blame the dinos :D

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
It may actually be dinos, but honestly you need a microscope to be sure.

Mine were  the spittin' image of this :
images

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
That
pulpfiction1 link said:
what are the nitrates and phosphate readings?
pulpfiction1 link said:
what are the nitrates and phosphate readings?
That depends on what po4 test kit you use, if it's red sea it will 0.08, if elos or salifert it will be 0, if hanna anywhere between 0 and 100.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
If dinos or cyano it will disapear overnight and reappear when the light are on, also it will blow off with a turkey baster.

nyuu

i have the 8G Mini-II series
Features:
*Modern Slim Profile LED lighting system 6.2W. Quad panels design with light output of 150PAR. Now with 2Blues:1White.
* Tank dimensions are 12" x 12" x 13"
* Multi-Chambered Reef system with filter sponge.
* 100% Acrylic filtration for a true deep black background.
* 187 GPH pump for a turn over rate of almost 23X per hour.
*High Starfire glass Clarity seamless single panel. with Crystal clear seams

monizb

Super Active Member
Get your self a small tang and couple snails help clean it up how long do U leave lights on does it sit in front of any windows ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davesolo29

Super Active Member
monizb link said:
Get your self a small tang and couple snails help clean it up how long do U leave lights on does it sit in front of any windows ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
a small tang in an 8 gallon tank???  really??

so, i am assuming you dont have a skimmer. 
what is your fish stock list?

nyuu

i have a lawnmower bleny, 6 line wrasse, and a baby clown fish.

my clean up crew is, 1 blue banded crab, 1 mexico terbo snail and 3 tube snails, and i would never put a tang in an 8g it would die.

nyuu

nitrates are 0 but im out of phosfate testers :( have to wait till end of the month. i spend $300 on boxing day on the tank and im broke now

Boga

Salty Cracker link said:

images
Salty, do you remember at what magnification you were able to see these things? And were you able to distinguish them clear and sharp, including the flagellum (or flagella)? I am asking because I played little bit with the microscope today on some samples, but I had some focusing issues. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
nyuu link said:
Im trying the 3 day blackout treatment. Should i follow it up with hydro prox ? I have an anenimi

When I had Dino's, I tried everything
And nothing worked, they eventually just went away on their own.

Just my 2cents

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Boga link said:
[quote author=Salty Cracker link=topic=7378.msg76020#msg76020 date=1389072376]

images
Salty, do you remember at what magnification you were able to see these things? And were you able to distinguish them clear and sharp, including the flagellum (or flagella)? I am asking because I played little bit with the microscope today on some samples, but I had some focusing issues. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks.
[/quote]

It was high magnification, but just a microscope from a school I borrowed, and yes I could see everything clearly.  I drew a picture of what I saw and it was someone on RC that directed me to what it was.

To get the sample I shut off the pumps and I could see strands just hanging in the water like cobwebs, that's what I pulled out and used as a sample, and I do believe I used a second slide to squish it so that I could discern the individual little bastards.

Like Poseidon said, I tried everything and finally they went away on their own.  I had 2 re-occurrences in about a year, but haven't seen them since I added the UV bulbs to the tank, might just be coincidental timing though.

I think they may have some tie-in to the iron in GFO.  I know in the wild they 'feed' off iron somehow, which causes the red colour.  For me, shutting down GFO just wasn't an option, and I'm glad I didn't.  (this is just a theory of mine anyway, nothing to back it up).