Algae

pulpfiction1

Reef Scavenger
We figured out the cause for my algae issues, I am using the rock from my 90 gal and at the time I was not using ro water (tap water and no prime)so the rock was/is full of phosphates and now it is leaching out so, I anticipate that I am going to have an phosphate/algae issue for a bit..my other readings are great.. now just a labour of love until its gone. I am going to continue with good husbandry, large water changes and the vodka, from the beginning to now is night and day. ..could that maybe something like what is happening to you.. used rock,substrate,etc????
im not sure what prime has to do with algae,but you have the right idea,and i would still use gfo,even if only in a mesh sock in the sump

heath

Distinguished Member
oh I plan to, at least I know where the phosphates/algae came from.. it was driving me nuts, remember I asked you about it..

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah its all re used rock and new dry rock, but from what i know its never had tap used on it. It did have just ro used but ive been using rodi for a long time now. The hair algae really exploded after going from a hugh nutrient tank to a clean tank. I had 25ppm n93 and 0.06 p04 at all times. When i switched it dropped right off to 2ppm n03 and 0.00 p04.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
I don't feed at all and three days should be fine for your sticks.
Tape garbage bags to the tank. When I say lights out. I mean ZERO light for the three days.
If you're concerned about the corals. Have a peak at them at day two. But you should be just fine with three days no lights or feedings.

Sony Xperia Z3
Ok so i removed what i could of the algae. Its a mixture of hair and bryopsis so its a little harder to pull off and scrub. Ive wrapped the outside of tank and garbage bags, now what do i do about light coming in the top of the tank?
Am I going to have to watch anything, like my PH?

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I would try and coverage top of the tank as well. You're running as sump. So no worries about gas exchange.

I normally don't monitor Ph. But if you're really worried. Use a small air pump and air stone in your sump for more gas exchange. Less co2 build up will give you more stable.Ph.

But honestly in all the tanks I've done this with. Ivenever once monitored anything. Just have a peak at your corals in two days to make sure all is still good.

Good luck

Sony Xperia Z3

Jewel

I feel for you, HA is the worst, Battling it can test your patience for sure, You can manually remove til the cows come home but you've got to address the Phosphate issue or it'll return as fast as it came. I'd remove all the rock and treat it out side of the tank, in bins if possible, no lights, It's a big job, This is one reason of many why people pack it in and start with new rock, I'm not saying that's the way to go but I know people that have.

And D, An ATS is a great idea, A tad bit late but still a good idea, I've run them in the past and they work well, I've used Phos Guard in the past as well and it works great, only thing it should be used with Live Rock only no Corals, So put the rock in bins and run it but test often. It is not a long term application, once the PO4 is gone run GFO 24/7

Phos guard By Seachem, I say not a long term application because this is one product that is a bit subject, It may introduce Aluminum into your system, I used it when I started my previous set-up, I knew the rock had PO4 in it and I treated it with Phos Guard sparingly, testing often with the Hanna Phospherous Checker until levels got to .0003. It worked great in about 2 months and I never had any Algea in my system afterwords. I'd use it again for sure. Riley? I gave you some but as I said the rock should be removed from the tank and treated in bins.

I can see you saying NO way man. But that's my cure.

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
I've never had tech m work on hair algae before.

I'd suggest you wait until tomorrow. Turn your actinic back on and give the tank a really good cleaning again. Remove as much of it as possible. Just remember if you're scrubbing in tank, make sure you run some carbon. After/during the cleaning, look at your sps and see how they're holding up. If still looking good. I'd do another day or even two lights out after this major cleaning. That should really choke out the algae.

Then when you're lights come back on. I'd do one last good removal of any algae that's left.

I've seen sps go as long as 7 days lights out with no issues. But have a good look at them when you perform your cleaning tomorrow. Also if you do another two days of lights out. You might want to cut your hours of light back when you go full on again. Don't want to burn those pretty little sticks.

Sony Xperia Z3