ALGE

averhoog

have had a bit of bubble alge for a while but the emerald crabs seem to be takeing care of that but recently there has been what I think is black alge spots on the rock that I can clean off come off in one piece usually and also there is getting purple/ redish stuff growing in patches in the crushed corral on the bottom. also the corraline alge is growing nicely on the rocks that wernt exposed before the move 3 months ago and little hairs growing on the bottom of the rocks. hoping this is just normal growth but assuming something is wrong. I check the levels and everything has been 0 or just above for nitrates calcium at 420 and alk at 150 not sure were to go from here thanks for any advise

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
looks like cyano to me... increase flow and decrease your nutrient input to the system.  Feed less and be patient.  look into biopellets and gfo if you do not have it already.

averhoog

thanks I will go to just one feeding a day didn't feed last night and looks like most of it is gone just one small spot still there thanks

benzzz

Wouldnt hurt to cut back on lighting. Are your bulbs old?
I fought cyano for 6 months and it is finally down to a couple patches in less flow shady areas. Try to be patient and syphon as much as you can out. Trust me I lost a bit of hair pulling it out frustrated with this crap.  Good luck.

I also run pellets, gfo and carbon, and dose MB7.

averhoog

I run alsol leds not sure how old (bought entire setup used) got it on the same program that mark used. if continuing to have problems will def cut back a bit on light I don't run gfo. I just run a scimmer with a refuge

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Well your safe from color shifting with LEDs. Just jut back the on time a couple hours and see. Some people do a complete 72hr tank black out as well, wrap the tank in a blanket letting in no light. That may offer some releif but if the root cause isn't found it will return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk