"All Purpose" lens recommendations for Nikon D90

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Being new to the world of DSLR photography, and finding the wide selection of lenses slightly mind boggling, I thought I would post here and see what some of you guys think are good lenses so that I can start my selection from a short-list.

I've always been a point and shoot camera guy until the last few years, when I discovered that my new iPhone outperformed my old Lumix.  I understand the difference between the lens types available, and got the macro lens nailed down for reef tank shots.  But I'd like to have what I call an "all purpose" lens for my new camera.  A goto for random photos of pets, friends, landscapes, and whatever random thing I find myself wanting to photograph - nothing super long range like birds in the sky, though.

So I've been looking at medium range 18-55mm zoom lenses to fill this need, ideally under $250.  I think the basic Nikon AF-S DX 18-55 F3.5-5.6G ED II that comes bundled with the new Nikon bodies would probably suit my needs, but I don't really know if there's anything else out there that I should be considering... there are so many options!  Wide angle zoom lens?  50mm prime lens?  This is where I'm getting lost and hoping for recommendations.  I really just need a lightweight, compact lens that can focus within a few feet but also be able to do landscapes.

Would need to be Nikon F mount and my camera uses a DX format sensor. 

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Re: "All Purpose" lens recommendations for Nikon D90

Nikon 18-55 will be best price. I use my 50mm 1.4 prime for most things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfofre

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamron-A09-AF-28-75mm-F2-8-SP-XR-Di-LD-ASPH-IF-Macro-Lens-Nikon-NICE-669-/141072506265

This is where i purchase lenses for my Canon...  Awesome lenses, good prices.
This would be a great all around lense.  I wish i would've purchases a 18-250mm lense...That would've covered anything i needed for "point and shoot" photography.  Instead i have the 18-55 & 55-250IS, both great lenses, but need to have both on me when out and about!!!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Back in the film days y'know when Linda McCartney/Eastman was worth more than husband Paul...

I got a high end 28-250 mega zoom when I moved up to a pro level SLR.  I used it as my walk around lens.for a while and took a lot of nice.pics.  Eventually I realised.that while I was getting a lot of good pictures, I wasn't getting any GREAT ones. 

So I started shooting with primes and shorter more specialized (read sharper) zooms and my mega zoom was never mounted on my camera again.

Just my 2 cents, but the ability to choose lenses is why you buy a DSLR rather than a RAW capable point and shoot with a multi purpose built in lens.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Yeah the ability to choose lenses is certainly one of the biggest advantages that I could see in moving to DSLR, and I do love the options.  I'm just not entirely sure what would be useful and when at this time.  I decided to go with an 18-55mm zoom lens for starters, so I can get an idea of what shots different lens lengths will give me... I plan on getting either a 35mm or 50mm prime next.  I was surprised to find out how versatile the 90mm macro lens is, so that's a score.  I thought it would be useful only for closeup shots, but it's also good as a fixed zoom.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I didn't really look into anything other than Canon and Nikon DSLRs, mainly due to the wide selection of lenses available on those cameras.

Austin

I ditched my DSLR and went to Micro 4/3 Cameras aka mirrorless. Great pictures and way more mobile than my DSLr so I find I take it with me far more.

Bough the Olympus OMD-5 great camera.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I've been having a blast with this new camera.  I always felt limited by my previous cameras (various point and shoots plus my iPhones).  It's possible that I could have been satisfied with a new generation point and shoot with an exchangeable lens, but a Nikon DSLR practically guaranteed my satisfaction! :D

Dunno if I mentioned at all, but I got the D90 because I found one used at the local Henry's for less than the price of a brand new D3100 (entry level) camera.