Amount Of Live Rock & Sand Needed?

Anthony

Hi,
I'm currently working on a setting up a tank, (90gal + 30gal Sump)

How much live rock & sand should I be looking at for a tank of this size?
Is there a recommended place to purchase either? (Big Al's, EcoLiveRock.org, kijiji, etc.)
I've seen Live rock at a local store for around $10/pound, and kijiji is all over the map is terms of price and quantity. Are there any issues I should be looking out for when buying Live Rock?

Any types of sand recommended? and how much should i purchase?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
Anthony

Nick James

You can also order dry Marco Rock usually at $3 a lb.

I wouldn't get caught up in how much weight you need. Build whatever structure or scape that looks good to you, that is how much rock you need.

If you go sparse in your display you can add more in your sump or something like Siporax for added biofiltration.

Nick James

And as far as sand goes, it depends. If you want wrasses that bury themselves you want sugar fine sand. If not you can go with a larger grain sand.

Research the creatures you absolutely want to have and determine what their needs are. Then go from there :)

kapelan

live rocks would find from old tank - the older the better.
All these bugs inside rocks will save huge time and algae problem when set up the tank.
To make sure no aiptasia and some other nasty staff - put rocks into a tank without light/food - just salt water with pump and heater
for about 1 month.

Anthony

check the site, there is usually someone selling rock..you could end up with unwanted pests with buying either IMHO... what are your plans for the tank, fish only, corals, mix of both...
I would like to do both fish and corals (fish to start and corals once I can support them)

Canadianeh

You can also order dry Marco Rock usually at $3 a lb.

I wouldn't get caught up in how much weight you need. Build whatever structure or scape that looks good to you, that is how much rock you need.

If you go sparse in your display you can add more in your sump or something like Siporax for added biofiltration.

Are Marco Rocks live rocks? They are a lot cheaper than what Big Al's is asking at $9/lbs.

Regarding sands, is it possible and okay to do partial area with find sand and partial area with gravel or more coarse sands? For an example fine sand on half of the tank and the other half is coarse sands or gravel or mix.

Nick James

Are Marco Rocks live rocks? They are a lot cheaper than what Big Al's is asking at $9/lbs.

Regarding sands, is it possible and okay to do partial area with find sand and partial area with gravel or more coarse sands? For an example fine sand on half of the tank and the other half is coarse sands or gravel or mix.

Marco Rock is dry rock. It all becomes live rock after it is in your tank. I started my biocube with half dry and half live.

You can use all sizes if you like. They will end up all mixed together though.

Canadianeh

Marco Rock is dry rock. It all becomes live rock after it is in your tank. I started my biocube with half dry and half live.

You can use all sizes if you like. They will end up all mixed together though.

is there bacteria on marco rock though?

Nick James

is there bacteria on marco rock though?

Nope, the bacteria forms during your cycle from being in your water over time. From breaking down ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. It takes longer if you use all dry rock. You can help it along by using a few peices of live rock but it's not necessary.

Canadianeh

Nope, the bacteria forms during your cycle from being in your water over time. From breaking down ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. It takes longer if you use all dry rock. You can help it along by using a few peices of live rock but it's not necessary.
Marcorock looks very pale. If i mix them with live rocks it will looks weird I think. Does marcorocks color change overtime? How long?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
old rules of thumb is 1lb per gallon.. but theres alot of variables. A porous 3 lb rock does a heck of alot better job than a 10lb solid rock.
(bacteria need surface area, hence the reason its easy to substitute rock for other surfaces/filter media)

I would go all marco rock. Start fresh, it will all come around and mature in its own time.

Good luck!

Canadianeh

old rules of thumb is 1lb per gallon.. but theres alot of variables. A porous 3 lb rock does a heck of alot better job than a 10lb solid rock.
(bacteria need surface area, hence the reason its easy to substitute rock for other surfaces/filter media)

I would go all marco rock. Start fresh, it will all come around and mature in its own time.

Good luck!

what do I need to do to make it mature and live though. I just put the rock, salt water, heater, and water change? Where the bacteria comes from?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
there are many different methods, ammonia dosing, ghost feeding, using a nitrifying bacteria etc.

Basically as soon as there is ammonia a cycle will begin.

Im not a scientist though, just have a basic understanding of the cycle through years of 'knowing' about it.

Canadianeh

there are many different methods, ammonia dosing, ghost feeding, using a nitrifying bacteria etc.

Basically as soon as there is ammonia a cycle will begin.

Im not a scientist though, just have a basic understanding of the cycle through years of 'knowing' about it.

Thanks. I think I am going with the live rocks or maybe mix of LR and Marcorocks. I like the look of Marcorocks.
When people buy LR from store, do they need to be submerged in the salt water when transporting it home?

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
water/ or wrapped with wet newspaper will do it.
the minute you take it out of water some organic material will die, the longer its out the more die off you will get.

But your cycle a new tank, so dead organic material is desired (dead= ammonia)

I wouldnt pay the store prices, going rate on kijiji would be 3ish per lb.
9$ a lb is ridiculous