Amount Of Live Rock & Sand Needed?

heath

Distinguished Member
maybe contact a person on the site that is selling their set up and see if you can get rock from them...there are a few on here selling...

reef keeper

Super Active Member
I wouldn't be looking at using any live rock. My first tank was a lot of live, and the pests you get outweigh the advantage of the bacteria and "good bugs".

Just get the cheapest, most porous rock you can. Marco, pukani, Tonga shelf (not porous but cool) and Fiji is nice stuff.

Treat is all with muriatic acid. This will eat the phosphate laden outer layer off, and kill anything on the rock.

I start using pure ammonia. It works well and is cheap.

When you start stocking - start slooow.

Canadianeh

If one starting a new tank with live sand and dry rock instead of LR, would the live sand helps to upgrade the dry rock to LR since the live sand already has bacteria in it? Is having the live sand alone is enough to change the dry rock to live rock?

Also, some aquarists suggested that having dry rock is better since it will reduce the risk of "hitchhiker", but does not it apply to live sand as well?

LIttle Reef Keeper

Website
www.facebook.com
If one starting a new tank with live sand and dry rock instead of LR, would the live sand helps to upgrade the dry rock to LR since the live sand already has bacteria in it? Is having the live sand alone is enough to change the dry rock to live rock?

Also, some aquarists suggested that having dry rock is better since it will reduce the risk of "hitchhiker", but does not it apply to live sand as well?
The sand isnt submerged in water so hitch hickers wont survive, all though there can be eggs I guess. The live sand will eventually turn dry rock into live, but it will take up to a month, thats what the cycle does.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Anthony

Hi everyone, thanks for the great advice, I ended up ordering 30lbs of Pukani, (hopefully it is enough for now, If not I can always order more at a later date)

Reefkeeper, your comment was to treat it with muriatic acid and pure ammonia?
Can you let me know some more details on what i need to do with the Pukani, once i get it.

Anthony

fijireefrock com

Not sure if i got a good deal or not, but i was tired of searching, and the price dropped to 3.99/lb (normaly 4.99~5.99 /lb depeneding on what i could find online)
after shipping and taxes, it works out to more like 5.00/lb